SEQ4 Heidenreich Case Bulk 2014 / 2015

kristal=

Looks good, the price is probably unbeatable, too.

When buying a 17" panel, one wants to make sure it has slides for the closing sidepanels (see pic ) so the panel won't fall off the case. The original Wilba front panel file doesn't have this.

Also the hole for the data wheel should be 25mm wide, so the DK45 from Albs can fit, too. The original 10mm are too small:

http://albs.de/ecom/images/863108.pdf

why not use counter sunk flat head screws. Those will be flush with the panel and you're still doing all the work on the front of the panel

In my personal opinion, i think counter sunk often look much worse.  They are ok if you have the screw in your hand, and you gently take out more and more metal, and keep checking as you go, but, for any other job, through panel work, the screw either sits proud, or the hole is a fraction too large, and you get that silver 'halo' around the screw head.  

Of course, things should be perfect, and i know there are DIN specs etc., but, in reality, ive seen so many countersunk screws with the 'halo' around them, and, to me, it looks like an error.  I think the only perfect ones ive seen are ones done by hand, with the screw present to match when making the hole.

Again, it is only my opinion.  For my own works, i generally always go for the stainless steel allen cap bolts.  I like the look of them! : )

When buying a 17" panel, one wants to make sure it has slides for the closing sidepanels (see pic ) so the panel won't fall off the case. The original Wilba front panel file doesn't have this.

Is this what you were asking about the rear panel?  Im still not 100% sure that i understand! : )

I have a case from one of the earlier group-buys - i took measurements from the actual case itself, rather than the datasheets, and cut both the top and the rear panels to fit the case.

Indeed, i cut a test panel, and then made further adjustments of fractions of a millimeter, so that, not only did the panel fit, it fits perfectly! : )

Assuming the cases from this group-buy are of exactly the same dimensions as the ones from the last group buy (im sure they will be - they will be cut from the same code, im sure!) then any panels that i cut for them will, again, fit perfectly.  

Again, i am not 100% sure i understand, but, even if i do not understand, i can assure you that there will be no falling off the case! : )

(in short - there is nothing to worry about ; )

Indeed, i cut a test panel, and then made further adjustments of fractions of a millimeter, so that, not only did the panel fit, it fits perfectly! : )

Again, i am not 100% sure i understand, but, even if i do not understand, i can assure you that there will be no falling off the case! : )

What I mean: what happens if your turn the case up side down? E.g. transporting it to a gig etc?

I don't have a better word than slide or guide rail for it, I marked them red for you. I even don't have a word in German for it :smile:

Furthermore, I marked 2 recesses that aren't necessary with SmashTV's PCB.

post-7120-0-76465400-1403100243_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-24503400-1403100283_thumb.jp

What I mean: what happens if your turn the case up side down? E.g. transporting it to a gig etc?

I don't have a better word than slide or guide rail for it, I marked them red for you. I even don't have a word in German for it :smile:

Furthermore, I marked 2 recesses that aren't necessary with SmashTV's PCB.

Yep, the panels are fine.  Shake the case as much as you like - nothing will fall off : )

The two holes - they were from earlier builds.  The reason ive still cut them was to make the panel backward compatible, but i guess its probably time to stop now.

ps. 

Even without locking into the ends of the case using the parts you are looking for a name of (tabs/protrusions/rails?) the panel should still be held by the top and bottom extrusions, shouldnt it?  I will have to look again, but im sure the panels hold on all four edges - two fit with the extrusion, and two with the end plates.

But, again, either way, nothing falls off - really, dont worry! : )

I guess it's a good idea to PM julianf or contact frontpanels.de.

Edit: Btw, the signup phase for the first batch has started, if someone wants a case this summer please sign up at: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=seq4_aluminium_case_and_frontpanel_2014

Edited by kristal=

I'm really looking forward to finally be able to order a standard mbseq case with some front panels so I can build one but I'm still not 100% clear on the front panel design choices.  As a general overarching hypothetical guidance, I will tend to favor cheaper, simpler designs.  But because I do not have enough extra time to go off and design my own front panel, I will wind up going with a bulk order that is likely to work.

All this to say that I have some mild sticker shock about the front panel cost, and to ask, is there still an opportunity to discuss the front panel design?  Because for example, I would probably prefer no countersinking or counterboring on front screw holes, and I still don't completely understand the purpose of the other extra work on the back, and how the benefits justify the cost.

Thanks for the patience of anyone who can help shed some light on these topics.

All this to say that I have some mild sticker shock about the front panel cost, and to ask, is there still an opportunity to discuss the front panel design?  Because for example, I would probably prefer no countersinking or counterboring on front screw holes, and I still don't completely understand the purpose of the other extra work on the back, and how the benefits justify the cost.

I think the best idea is to discuss this matter with Julianf. I'm not a manufacturer of panels, so I don't have any influence on panel prices.

Update:

Got 8 case sign ups, need 2 additional cases for this bulk to get started.

I won't supply any frontpanels, since only fundamental took interest. Please PM Julianf or visit frontpanels.de for your individual frontpanel.

Sign up here if you want a case: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=seq4_aluminium_case_and_frontpanel_2014

Edited by kristal=

Can i have confirmation on one thing - 

The red holes, in this image (click to make it bigger!) - 

post-5349-0-64628000-1404123488_thumb.jp

Should i *not* cut these for the panels?

And to be 100% clear - the photo above is the REAR of the panel, not the side you see.

(ie a mirror image of the top side)

Im sorry if this is obvious, but i just need to be 100% certain before the next stage of cutting! : )

I took those holes off, they were only there for the 2 piece prototype panels where you needed to wire them together and you dont need them with the current CS PCB.

Are you seriously going to do the LCD window cutouts on the back?  I can understand the blind holes for the mounting (I dont really agree though, counter sunk holes with the right hardware are just as good at a fraction of the price IMHO) but the LCD window cutouts are a pretty dated concept,  You can get 20 windows cut laser cut for the price of one machined one and those dont require a cutout on the back of the panel.  I've been using the "snap in" plexi windows for everything project I've done in the last 5 years and those are perfectly fine (see SamichSID/FM)

Edited by Altitude

I took those holes off, they were only there for the 2 piece prototype panels where you needed to wire them together and you dont need them with the current CS PCB.

As Altitude says.

If you like cutting recesses, the pic should give you some hints for useful recesses. Also a 25mm wide hole for the data wheel makes sense, as this makes you able to choose between the Albs DK45 & the original DK38.

post-7120-0-34438200-1404125930_thumb.jp

Edited by kristal=

In answer to you both - the attachment was simply to look at the hole positions, not how anything was to be cut at all.  Its a very old photo of a panel cut years ago.  All i was wanting to draw attention to were the two redundant holes.

You have given me the information i was looking for though - thank you! : )

And now for some photos -

DSCF7037_zpsa8a44db8.jpg

DSCF7039_zpsf3a81e88.jpg

DSCF7035_zps7602c6a4.jpg

And for kristal, just to show that the panel really does not come off the case, a shot of it hanging off my claw - 

DSCF7044_zps6643bbd8.jpg

I only have one panel set finished right now (the one in the photos above) and i have it listed in my shop - http://thebeast.co.uk/?post_type=product  (again, thank you xtrmnt)

The back panel is not that clear in the photos above, but it matches the screen grab i posted previously.  Ie it has the OSC port, the power switch has been changed to a common SCI part, and an additional DIN port added.

Im out all day tomorrow, but i will add three more units on Wednesday.  The shop will update as / when any units sell.

• Like 1