NEW Backpanel design for the SEQ4 aluminum case (LPC17 & STM32F4)

kristal=

As mentioned in another thread, I highly recommend to use a MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module, since this will be the only one which will be able to run the upcoming "V4 Plus" firmware (due to higher amount of RAM and Flash resources, and higher speed).

Accordingly the backpanel will look different.

E.g. MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 natively supports 4 MIDI INs and 4 MIDI OUTs - is there still a need for 4 additional IIC based MIDI OUTs?

For SD Card and USB Socket we need a breakout board, because the MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module is too large so that it can't directly mounted at the backpanel (/edit: to be more precisely - instead it has to be mounted at the bottom of the case)

For ethernet the MBHP_ETH module would be required.

This opens the option that somebody designs a special breakout board with:

- 4 MIDI IN/OUT based on two MBHP_MIDI_IO boards

- USB, and here the question: do you prefer a B Socket like before, or would Micro USB be more interesting - advantage of Micro USB: an USB Host option would be possible!

- SD Card Socket

- Ethernet Circuit (MBHP_ETH module) + Socket. For LPC17 a direct socket connection would be required (MBHP_ETH not used)

- 25 pin AOUT/SRIO Breakout Socket
  Optionally with line drivers to support cable lengths of up to 5m -> http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/line_drivers.pdf

- BLM Socket

- Power Switch and Ext. Power Socket

Such a breakout board would have another advantage: it would be compatible to the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module as well!

And we could create a common backpanel design for it.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I hope Julianf can confirm this but I understand he can make a backpanel to your preferences? I have built my Midibox Seq like St. Isaac Cathedral and as so I would like to have the old design he made but with the new upcoming STM32F4 core I might want to upgrade later on. So is it possible to make the case compatible with all the upgrades? If the STM32F4 is too large to fit in Heidenreich case and you have to make a big breakout box that in my opinion is a huge drawback! Anyway if the Heidenreich order is already confirmed why not just go and think about possible STM32F4 changes later on?

The breakout board is not an external board, it just brings all interfaces together and allows to mount the MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 (or MBHP_CORE_LPC17) under the frontpanel at the bottom of the case without tricks and with much more free space.

Here a picture from orange_hand which shows what I mean:

post-3436-0-03141400-1402946049_thumb.jp

Original article (in german): Re: Midibox Sequenzer MBSEQ V4 / The Project

Anyway if the Heidenreich order is already confirmed why not just go and think about possible STM32F4 changes later on?

I'm trying to highlight that there is a solution which makes LPC17 and future STM32F4 users happy.

Such a breakout board would even open the possibility to upgrade the MIDIbox SEQ with future core modules w/o high costs, because most interface components are already part of the breakout board. We wouldn't have a dependency between the core module layout and the backpanel anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Oh I see. I was kind of aware of the problem but thought I could sort it out myself by using a vero board or something. A breakout board would of course be a better option but might also cause a huge delay in finishing the unit. However the breakout board seems like a very good option indeed and I would be willing to buy one if realized.

So is it possible to make the case compatible with all the upgrades? If the STM32F4 is too large to fit in Heidenreich case and you have to make a big breakout box that in my opinion is a huge drawback!

This pic of the case should give you some insights. 1/3 of the case will be used by the core module, however 2/3 of the space is empty. This is where the breakout board will fit in.

We wouldn't have a dependency between the core module layout and the backpanel anymore.

:thumbsup:

Edit: orange_hand's pic is much better: :pinch:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/ws4711/40%20MBSEQV4%20Project/Wiring_Complete_01_zpsf156f49f.jpg

post-7120-0-60831200-1403004439_thumb.jp

Edited by kristal=

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to know too if someone is working on this. I'd like to go with the new STM32F4 core which requires this breakout board and the corresponding backpanel, but with none available it's holding up my ordering a case from the #3 bulk buy

Rather than designing a whole new board, that replicates the functionality of all the existing modules, what about creating a tray/sled that bolts to the case, and aligns all the board connectors flush to the backplate? It could be laser cut from acrylic/aluminum sheet (or printed out as a 1:1 stencil for manual drilling at home) and probably wouldn't need to be very thick to be strong enough... If I had good dimensions for the parts involved I could sketch out something like that pretty quickly. Thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm building my SEQV4 based on MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 Module . Before  drawing the finally back side I have a question about BLM.

On 16/6/2014 at 4:54 PM, TK. said:

As mentioned in another thread, I highly recommend to use a MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module, since this will be the only one which will be able to run the upcoming "V4 Plus" firmware (due to higher amount of RAM and Flash resources, and higher speed).

Accordingly the backpanel will look different.

E.g. MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 natively supports 4 MIDI INs and 4 MIDI OUTs - is there still a need for 4 additional IIC based MIDI OUTs?

For SD Card and USB Socket we need a breakout board, because the MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module is too large so that it can't directly mounted at the backpanel (/edit: to be more precisely - instead it has to be mounted at the bottom of the case)

For ethernet the MBHP_ETH module would be required.

This opens the option that somebody designs a special breakout board with:

- 4 MIDI IN/OUT based on two MBHP_MIDI_IO boards

- USB, and here the question: do you prefer a B Socket like before, or would Micro USB be more interesting - advantage of Micro USB: an USB Host option would be possible!

- SD Card Socket

- Ethernet Circuit (MBHP_ETH module) + Socket. For LPC17 a direct socket connection would be required (MBHP_ETH not used)

- 25 pin AOUT/SRIO Breakout Socket
  Optionally with line drivers to support cable lengths of up to 5m -> http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/line_drivers.pdf

- BLM Socket

- Power Switch and Ext. Power Socket

Such a breakout board would have another advantage: it would be compatible to the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module as well!

And we could create a common backpanel design for it.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

As suggested, I use 4 MIDI IN/OUT based on two MBHP_MIDI_IO boards , plugged into the connector J11E.

BLM Module requires also an I/ O MIDI. Can I plug it in J5B.A6 (MIDI IN3) and J5B.A7 (MIDI OUT3) ???? May that create a conflict with the 4 I/O ( MBHP_MIDI_IO boards) or  is it a software solution ?

If not what is the solution ?

Cordialement

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Using the BLM will tie up one one MIDI IO, so you're correct that the back panel would only have three MIDI IOs. You can easily add four (or eight) MIDI out with the Quad IIC PCB.

I can see the incentive of a big breakout PCB (apart from some material flex), but there are a lot of configurations possible: 

• Core: STM32F1, LPC17, STM32F4, and whatever it's replaced with next
  • SD card for the earlier Cores
  • MIDI IO: 4 or 8 sockets, BLM takes two.
  • Quad IIC, or two instances to get 8 MIDI out. In the latter case there would be three spare DIN sockets assuming the BLM is used, or one could use the spare pairs for MIDI IO 3 and 4. A bit strange though.
  • Ethernet (or a WiFi replacement?)
  • AOUT: direct connections or through line drivers?
    • which standard? 3.5mm, 1/4" or banana?
  • Gates: directly from DOUT or through line drivers?
  • Clocks?
  • USB B or micro? Or both?

The hardware updates so quickly it would be difficult to maintain a PCB in the long term. It might be doable with some multi-purpose footprints and clever jumpers though.

I'm currently working on a design for a back plate in the heidenreich format.  It will contain:  holes for 2xMIDIO; AOUT (if required) and a type B connector.  For me the sd card can stay inside as long as it is accessible through USB.  I want to throw in a USB panel mount extension cable like this one. http://www.miniinthebox.com/nl/0-5m-1-5ft-micro-usb-5pin-male-naar-usb-b-female-panel-mount-het-type-kabel-50cm-met-schroeven-gratis-verzending_p2114390.html

I still need to think about the routed edge required for fitting the heidenreich enclosure and find a proper power connector and switch and draw them into the back panel.

here is a formulor based design, two pieces in the large formulor size. Suggestions warmly welcomed of course..

2xSEQHeidenreich.eps.zip

PS:  I'm a bit confused by the dimensions: the STM32F4 pcb length is 118mm ; the bottom plate of the heidenreich case is 125.2mm width.  Why doesn't the core fit? Do the corner profiles get in the way or is it a height issue?

And what would be the exact size of the front panel - w435,50mm x h133.65mm (3U) ?  or slightly higher

Edited by EsotericLabs