OLED displays

jbdiver

I recently replaced the 40x2 lcd's in my Midibox SEQ4 with OLEDs from Raystar. These OLEDs are drop-in replacements for standard lcds and work perfectly with the midibox platform. I think they look incredible. The power savings is nice as well. 

14411270827_f9c67e0a3e_c.jpg

One important note is that if you are using the Heidenreich case, you will need to have a section of the top curved bar milled out by a machine shop to accommodate the OLEDs. The vertical width of the displays are noticeably longer than standard lcds and the display pcb will interfere with the bar if a section isn't cut out. 

14410998879_526c3b948b_c.jpg

Wow those look fantastic. Do they seem any brighter to you? They look way brighter than my current LCD's.

The characters are definitely much brighter than the backlit lcd's. Plus, the background is black so the characters really stand out. I can sit 3ft (1m) to the side and still clearly read the displays. 

So mounting holes match up?

Yes, the mounting holes and display window match. The only issue is that the vertical width of the pcb is longer (maybe like a cm) than a typical lcd display. I was able to solve this issue by having a machine shop modify my case. 

They look awesome!

Where did you buy those? At Raystar direct?

I ordered the displays from tme.eu (Poland).  I couldn't find a retailer in the US. Price after shipping was around $120 USD. I held off on this upgrade because I wasn't sure the expense was worth it. Now I could never go back to lcd's.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One tip for the combination of Heidenreich case and the OLED's mentioned above. If you don't want to mill out the rim above the displays, you can just add two sheets of transparent acrylic glass between the display and front panel (cca 2mm thick). It moves the display a bit deeper into the case yet it remains easily readable and ads the distance needed to avoid the interference with the rim + plus provides protection of the display. For me it was easier to cut the acryl glass than milling alu. I can imagine that using blue glass could give you green characters with this yellow OLED.

Edited by cube48

• 5 months later...

I've emailed them. When I ordered one there was a postage option called "Oun Forwarder" that came up with $0. The other postage option was about 30eu (ouchy) to Aus. The rego form also asked for a VAT number and I banged in "none" which it accepted. Asked them about that too. Do we need to be vat registered or can normal humans buy from them. No answer yet.

I have a friend in italy that could relay anything we need if it's a proble.  The winstar stuff is a good find but the Italian place also carries Wisechip stuff which is of interest to me as well (128x64 G OLEDS).  See what you can do on your end, Taiwan is a LOT close to Australia than it is to Detroit

Crest have came back to me with a price of $38 AUD each. I asked for prices on yellow and green, so I assume white will be the same. Lead time is 5-7 weeks (they do say Midibox is a journey) but this is awesome pricing considering TME cost me $150AUD for 2 yellows.

I'll be ordering a yellow and 2 greens.

Mine arrived yesterday and they are awesome.  I was a bit concerned that the PCB is taller than a LCD one but it works fine even in my case where everything is tight. The fact that the display is a third as thick gives me much more breathing room depth wise and that is very welcome since I was really pushing it in my setup.  One thing to consider with these is mounting since they are so thin, I have 1/4" blind thread studs on my case and they almost reach the holes of the display so I have to come up with some magic to deal with that since I cant use a standoff like I did for the standard displays..

Edited by Altitude

Comparison: 

Bit over exposed on purpose to show the brightness difference.  Keep in mind that I have smoke colored windows in mine, the Optrex parts looked OK with the window but were on the dark side as a result, green OLED fixed that issue and then some..

Dont forget to change the LCD type to 0x02 in the bootloader, both displays wont work at the same time otherwise and to set the jumper to 3.3v

IMG_20160316_174512.jpg

and the "out of focus but you get the drift" done pic

IMG_20160317_073838.jpg

Edited by Altitude