Fast trigger option for organ keybeds?

FantomXR

Hey people,

I want to use a fatar TP8/O for playing organ sounds. As every keybed, it has two switches to calculate the velocity. Is there an option, that allows to fire a "note on" already when the first switch is pressed?
Real hammond organs do react very fast. You don't have to press down the key a lot to play a note.

This would be nice :)

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

And what velocity would the synth "fire" that note with? ;)

If you're happy with it always being 127, you can hook up the keyboard as a single-contact, non-velocity-sensitive keyboard by just using the first switch and ignoring the second. There may be a way to do this in software as well, I'm not familiar with the MIDIbox KB configuration options. But I've never before heard of someone wanting to turn off velocity sensitivity just to save 2 ms. Are you sure you'll never want to play sounds with a velocity layer?

Hey,

thanks for getting back to me!

It has nothing to do with latency or miliseconds. It has something to do with the way a real organ acts. This is bundled with the playing-style. For example:
A typical style is, repeating the same note very fast. This is only possible, if you don't need to push the key all the way down to fire a note-on. 

Regarding your question: Any velocity value is okay and would work.

So, I don't know, how TK designed the MB_KB velocity-function. If I switch off the velocity, is the note fired with the "brake" or with the "make"?

I'm still waiting for my TP/8O so I can just test it. 

It would be very luxuary if its possible, so switch off the velocity with a simple switch (set the keyboard to "organ mode"). This may work with NG, but the resolution of the velocity with NG is not sufficient for me (with LPC17) if I really need velocity. That's why I use MB_KB.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not seeing this for a month.

As far as I can tell from the documentation, there isn't an easy way to do this, since even if you inverted the signal from the "break" contacts, they would be wired on alternating rows of the matrix. (Maybe a feature request would be in order?) I don't think MBNG would help you, the keyboard driver is the same as in MBKB.

If you got one of those monster 8PDT switches (number of poles dependent on number of rows to switch), you might be able to switch the row select wires in such a way that would put all the break contacts next to each other in the matrix. But then you'd also have to switch the configuration when you did that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hm, seems complicated.

TK, is there maybe an easier solution on the softwareside? (Fire note-on with the break)

If not... I didn't get exactly what you meant by using a 8PDT switch. Would you draw just a little schematic on how do you think it should work?

Edited by FantomXR

Yes, a software solution should be easy.

Providing a switch which allows to change the behaviour during runtime is a bit more difficult, because this hasn't been considered yet.

But if it's acceptable to provide a runtime control only for MBNG, and only via a .NGR command, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 years later...

I have seen in the KB manual that there is an option to set fast trigger for the connected velocity keybeds. I will use 2 keybeds connected to the board. 

Is there any possibility to switch on and switch off the fast trigger option everytime I am switching between piano or organ sounds on the sound module? 

I think I will connect 2 switches (1 for upper and 1 for lower manual) to the digital inputs... When I need the fast trigger mode I will switch on, when I need velocity mode I will switch off the switch. 

Thank you in advance! 

Frank

Hello, 

thank you for the quick ansqer. It sounds good, therefore I have not to use realays shortening the make and break array. 

Is there any script to set the midi channel for each keyboard and control it by switches? 

Also I want to make possible to switch -2, - 1, 0, +1, +2 octave transpose, is it possible to control it from some inputs? 

Frank

2 hours ago, macsaif said:

Is there any script to set the midi channel for each keyboard and control it by switches? 

This might be possible with using the SET ^chn command in an NGR (which again is triggered by a button / switch),.

2 hours ago, macsaif said:

Also I want to make possible to switch -2, - 1, 0, +1, +2 octave transpose, is it possible to control it from some inputs? 

Same here! Please see here: