Combining 6581 and 8580 in full MIDIBox SID build

Jace

I found the combination of 6581 and 8580 chips in a sammichSID, the general consensus seeming that it was inadvisable.  However, has anyone actually tried this in a full 8-chip MIDIBox build?  My understanding is that there is a way to accommodate it on the PCB if one is crafty…but I sort of feel like I must be missing something as this combination seems to be exceedingly uncommon in practice.

6581: gritty, dirty, more noise, limited filter

8580: less noise, better filter, misses a bit of that original gritty 6581 feeling, but only audible for those hardcore SID nuts :smile:

Methinks, the 8580/6582 is great - and the filter sounds very good.

If you are planning to add a noisegate and maybe an external analog filter board (supported by the MBSID platform!), the 6581 will shine!

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Well, I guess what I'm maybe thinking is, three 8580 cores and one 6581 core, just for the hell of it.  Will the "noise" of the 6581 bleed through even if that core isn't being used at the moment?  I'm still trying to grasp the overall concept of the way the "cores" work in conjunction with each other.

They are stereo pairs and effectively 4 separate synths in one box.  The noise wont bleed per say but the stuck notes will stay on until another note is played so that you will hear.  Personally (having had both) I wouldn't even bother with 6581s.  Timbre wise, the 8580s/6582s are identical except there is no envelope bug and the filter works

I use both and think they are both great. With the 6581 (and actually the 8580 as well) an external VCA is very very nice. That way you have no more bleedthrough and you can controll the volume with the high resolution software envelope (and modmatrix). Works and sounds perfect.

Oh, i like the 6581 Filter!!! But true, it is not as effective as the 8580. But it has a very nice character. My advice: Use both!

Somewhere in the manual or the documentation there is an audio example comparing the two chips. Sorry, can´t find it right now.