Library for cross-platform real-time MIDI processing

Sauraen

I have some ideas for a real-time MIDI processing engine that I'd like to start working on. It will require too much CPU and RAM to implement in MIOS32, and I want to have data displayed on a screen, so I'm planning to run an old laptop with Linux (a distro with the real-time-audio kernel version), use a MIDIbox NG for the controls and MIDI to other devices, and finally have a high-speed connection (OSC?) from the laptop to my desktop running virtual instruments.

So I'm looking for a library that can do MIDI I/O in realtime (~1ms latency) over USB and Ethernet, multithreaded support so I can have analysis running in the background with some thread-safety system for data, and an easy-to-program GUI system. I see Juce has been used for MIDIbox-related projects in the past, can anyone recommend it? Or another library?

Started working with it yesterday, and I have to say already: it's so strange working with a library that not only compiles out-of-the-box, without me having to fight with ./configure and manually install other things first (and that on an old version of Linux), but compiles without a single compiler warning! Looking forward to working with it.

Edit: It's working very well, but it's forcing me to really get up to speed on my C++... Working in pure C in MIOS32 spoiled me!

Edited by Sauraen