RGB LCD on a MB - 6582

SpaceFire

Bad news turns out that my LCD screen letters sticking was a sign it was on its way out because now it's had it, backlight seems ok, but letters are dead.

So I'm happy to buy a nice high quality LCD display and may as well turn this into an opportunity to learn something about the workings of the MB-6582.

So I now need a replacement, is there anything stopping me using an RGB LCD like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/498

What extra electronics would I require in order to put a pot (or switch) in the box some place that lets me change the LCD colour assuming that is possible?

(if I wire this up as 'normal' will it work on the MB-6582 as a red display?)

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am very much an electronics novice but not completely clueless and very happy to learn.

Much Thanks,

SF

Hola SpaceFire,

it should work out of the box with no big changes (when comparing to a standard single-color backlit lcd) - but provides more voltage/current input pins - common Cathode is "R" (exactly the same as for a 16-pin standard display), but then there are additional "G" and "B" pins. If you don´t want to do fancy mixing and can live with standard colors (red, green or blue), no big changes are necessary. You might need a currrent limiting resistor, though. You could make the cathode cable pluggable, so you can change between the three base colors at first. And later on add a fancy pwm mixing circuit (which is surely also available on adafruit or from china)! :smile:

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Thank you for your awesome reply, unfortunately I had to take a break from 'SID land' to work on my film degree, but i'm back now.

This is so helpful thank you, I'm somewhat novice at electronics just wondering what type of current limiting resistor I might require as I'm planning on pressing ahead with this repair in the near future. Also wondering what type of PWM mixing circuit I might require to work with the supplied voltages?

Thanks so much for your help,

SF

Edited by SpaceFire

Welcome back! :-)

RGB LEDs in the MB6582 would be way more difficult than a multicolor backlight display, as the MB6582 is prepared only for two-pin LEDs. You have to choose which color goes where! :-)

Many greets and a happy 2015!

Peter

Edit:

regarding the control of the display backlight color: here is a small tutorial on how to do it with an arduino:

https://learn.adafruit.com/character-lcds/rgb-backlit-lcds

I´d stuff a small pro mini in there (a few $), with that one, you can change the backlight to any color (or color animation). It is also a nice starting project (without MB6582)

Edited by Hawkeye