sammichSID power supply for new Zealand

Pvmpirxn

Hi everyone

I recently brought a sammichSID that a guy in the USA built and was selling,

I does not include a power supply

I have looked on this forum and tried to find info on what type of power supply I need to get

Can someone please help me out....

What kind over power supply do I need to run it in new Zealand

Thanks in advance

Hi

You use the same voltage like in Europe 230V but your sockets are like these in Australia. Which power supply you need depends what you have inside - i mean SIDs. If there 8580 then power supply may be 12VDC or 9-12VAC. If you have 6581 then you will need 15VDC or 12VAC. You may buy these small switching supply labeled 1A. Could be lower than 1A but unfortunately they sometimes wont start.

Cheers

P.S. The plug from sammichSIDe is 5,5/2,1 but ask also someone to be 100% sure.

Edited by C_04

From the building guide:

If using 6581, make sure you are using a regulated 12V power supply.
If using 8580 or 6582, a regulated 12V power supply is preferred but not essential.
Test voltage between pin 28 (top-right corner) and pin 14 (bottom-left corner) of each SID's IC socket.
For 6581, this must be exactly 12V.
For 8580 or 6582, this must be exactly 9V.

Could work: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3312&CATID=83&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1000#12

kristal= someone made mistake here: If using 6581, make sure you are using a regulated 12V power supply.

Inside sammich we have bridge rectifier and there will be power loss about 1,5V. So how could be still working and have 12V after that rectifier when we plugged 12V regulated = DC?

Cheers

kristal= it could work or will work?

I don't see any contradiction to Wilba's recommendation, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. Open your Sammich, remove the SIDs, plug in PSU, test voltage between pin 28 (top-right corner) and pin 14 (bottom-left corner) of each SID's IC socket (as described in the sammichSID Build Guide), if it's exactly 9V, you're fine.

@C_04: That's Wilba's recommendation, not mine. Shouldn't he know, since he designed the machine?

Edited by kristal=

concise answer

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3312&CATID=83&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1000#12

http://www.electusdistribution.com.au/productView.asp?ID=11898&CATID=27&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&SUBCATID=166

• looks like it has an AS/NZS 3112 harmonised Australian and New Zealand AC Socket (Type I)
  • supports input voltage: 100 - 240 VAC (New Zealand's nominal voltage is 230 VAC)
  • provided output: 12VDC, 1A and is regulated
  • has plenty of different plugs, there's certainly a fitting 5.5/2.1mm plug (aka coaxial power connector) included. Like C_04, I assume you require a standardized 2.1mm power connector, since the manual lists a "DC Power Jacks PCB 2.1MM" for J1.

These are the requirements for your power supply. If you are unsure, mail the vendors and ask them if the plugback complies to your requirements. Both vendors don't provide a data sheet so the final judgment is not so easy from the distance. That's why I said could work, but the odds are quite in your favor if you check back with the vendors. Don't forget to set the yellow selector on the plugback to 12V.

@C_04: Wilba explains the 1,5V voltage drop in the manual.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by kristal=

kristal= i must say that partly you are right. There is possibility to use even 9V regulated power supply but you have to make a little mess inside sammich. Actually you have to use few jumpers. In normal operation when someone dont know what he is doing it may be dangerous. So i thought that we use bridge rectifier and 9V/12V stabilizer. In that case its true you cannot use 12V power supply when you have 6581 inside. Thorsten also wrote that on ucapps.de.

Pvmpirxn you may buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Plug-AC-110-240V-12V-2A-switching-Charger-Supply-AC-DC-Power-Adapter-5-5-2-1-/131110981185?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item1e86d2ce41

Cheers and whats bad thats not me:)