Entry missing from MBSID multi engine CFG menu?

jjonas

Hi,

I was working on a multi patch with two separate instruments (bass and lead played by MBSEQ4) when I noticed that tweaking the filter depth (D.P) LFO for one instrument made the other one's sound filtered too.

I don't know if it is a solution, but anyway reading the manual I figured that I should try assigning each instrument to a fixed oscillator in the CFG menu. The manual says for the CFG menu:

O1..O6: selects an individual oscillator for the instrument. Take note, that this option also locks the oscillator for instruments which haven't explicitely assigned it.

However, no such entry is visible either in the screenshot in the manual (just above the quoted text), nor in my MB6582's screen (version 2.043). Is the error in the manual or in the firmware?

Concerning multi-instrument multi patch and filtering, what is the recommended way to do it? I'm not completely sure what the limitations of the SID hardware are. I understand that the chip has one filter which the three oscillators share. Let's say Ins1-3 are playing on one SID. If I want to filter one of them and leave two unfiltered, that's ok, but if I want two of them filtered, I can do that, but they have to use the same filter and thus same settings..?

Anyway, I have the LR-channels centered on my mixer, and I was able to make the two instruments (Ins1 and Ins2) so that Ins1 is filtered and Ins2 isn't by switching the filter on for channel 1 and off for 2 and 3. When I switch off the "poly" setting in the CFG menu, an instrument seems to get assigned to whatever oscillator is was playing on when the "poly" setting was switched off, and this also determined which filter channel will affect it. It would be nice to have more control over this, and maybe the missing O1..O6 setting would help in this..?

Hi,

O1..O6 can be selected under the "VAs" option, see also http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_m.html where you will find the explanation for additional assignments, such as LR, L-, -R

but if I want two of them filtered, I can do that, but they have to use the same filter and thus same settings..?

won't really work (resp. this will generate funny settings).

You would have to assign one instrument to the left SID chip (O1..O3), and the other instrument to the right SID shift (O4..O6)

It would be nice to have more control over this

Thats exactly the intention behind the VA (Voice Assignment) rules

For a polyphonic sound you would prefer to assign the voice to all voices of the left SID (L-) or right SID (-R), so that up to 3 voices can be played in parallel.

Best Regards, Thorsten.