SeqV4+ My collection of Feature Proposals

=FFW=>

Hi Forum,

while using the great SeqV4 frequently for some time now, some improvements

came to my mind. I have started a small collection of proposals here and it would be great if

the community would give feedback on those proposals.

I would be very happy, if a few of them can resonate with your workflows :-)

And please, if theres something you want to add or improve, by all means, do it!

I hope we can build up a collection of useful feature improvements.

I have marked my favourites with bold text.

Here it goes:

FX-Humanizer:

- option to select affected target cc´s
- 4 ccs available within gp buttons / encoders on the right display

usecase:
1. user wants to „humanize“ certain cc values
2. user has an option to select cc´s to be affected by adjustable modulation amounts while in fx-humanizer page (right side)

extend parameter layers
- there should always be at least  16 parameter layers as well as all 8 trigger layers available (especially the drum tracks would profit from more assignable parameter layers)

Variable Step-length of parameter layers could open up the possibility for
independent length of cc-modulations
implementation (gui-wise)?

Having a „looping“ backing track for every note-track.
One can configure a subset of parameter layers to form a
sub-track having independent length.

use case:
playing a short looping ostinato upon a longer harmony

chordFX - with toggle button

use case:
1.user plays chord to memory
2.user can transpose chord according to played note on that track

implementation (gui-wise)

while in phrase mode (and using the save&take over patterns function):
-song 1  „save and take over patterns“: a1-p1
-song 2  „save and take over patterns“: a2-p2
-…
-song 8  „save and take over patterns“: a8-p8

improving the cc mute function
in a way that only the parameter layer of the incoming cc will be muted, instead of all layers as it is of now. maybe as well for note layers.

having an option to modify the way, the function save&take over patterns
will save pattern information (eg. 1. mixermap;2.mutes;3.mixermap;patterns…..)

maybe while startup?

Gate Modes as additional parameter layer to define step lengths (1/16; 1/8 etc.)?

euclid generator - note select function like it is within the random note generator

having the option to select track groups (by using the track group buttons) simultaneously (selecting more than one group)

duplicate actual track (doubles the length of the track by copying the content of the actual content of the track)

On/Off Toggle for ExtraCC# function within lfo menu (theres a free button below the ExtraCC;-)

--> this is my absolute favourite :-)

four additional sequencer control track-layers that provide automation lines for sequencer settings (delay note; repeats; delay/ length/ divider etc.)

echo page: on/off switch would be handy (within the display between „trk.“ and „repeats“).

two (or more) LFOs 
-selectable while holding gp1 button - modifies encoder to function „track-lfo-select“
-while gp1 is pressed, track leds represent current (of 1-16 selectable) lfos
by pulsing corresponding led
-while pressed, trk. gets renamed to Tlfo

record position indicator for step/layer/303 view (fast flashing red)

16 cc layers standard for every track configuration.
(opens through second page
(can be opened up with?; has cc number on top, value below.
cc number can be changed by pressing the encoder or respective gp button and turning the encoder)

SR-allocation for important „live-tweakable“ parameter/trigger layer functions like note length etc.

can be imagined as:

„arcade encoders“
16 (or 8) encoders like bm-buttons.
that can be tied to certain functions, they are available for the actual selected track

Pitch Shift option for duplicate notes FX
—> duplicated notes can be shifted by semitones

when in record mode:
-while record mode is set to mono, there is an option missing to select the note layer, the recorded notes are recorded into.

(could enable multitake recordings)

Automation port:
define a port which sends out all data in parallel (mute-cc information as well)
- to get omni-feedback on external controllers.
-this would be especially handy in conjunction with the MidiboxNG. It would be great to have an optional „feedback-input“ for the MidiboxNG.

Hi,

here some first statements from my side w/o checking if an implementation is really feasible for V4, or could only be part of V4 Plus since it requires a patch structure update.

FX-Humanizer:

do you want to enter the CC number, or just select the parameter layers which should be humanized?

extend parameter layers
- there should always be at least  16 parameter layers as well as all 8 trigger layers available (especially the drum tracks would profit from more assignable parameter layers)

The parameter storage is limited to 1024 bytes, and the trigger storage to 256 bytes.

For a parameter storage each step consumes 1 byte per layer, in the trigger storage 8 steps consume 1 byte per layer

This "full blown" parameter option 16 parameter layers and 8 trigger layers is already available, but you've only 64 steps (64*16 = 1024 bytes, 64*8/8 = 64 bytes)

A drum track would multiply the required storage depending on the number of instruments.

E.g. with 16 instruments such a configuration would consume 16k for only 64 steps.

This is dramatically more memory, and even worse: it takes much more time to load (and store) this amount of memory from/to SD Card.

Realtime switching between the patterns wouldn't be possible anymore.

Is this what you would accept?

(I don't think so)

So: I understand your request, but I don't see a potential for improvements here if we want to keep the major advantages of MBSEQ V4 (regardless if with or without Plus)

I also already spent some thought on this, e.g. to allow multiple length (and also velocities) in a track.

It's possible to provide this.

But we've 16 parameter layers maximum and have to keep this limit.

So: how many parameter layers are you normally using, and would it be acceptable to spend some layers for additional lengths?

Would it be sufficient to allow the possibility to set the existing loop point only for certain parameter layers, and not all parameter layers?

How should the triggers be handled in this case?

use case:

implementation (gui-wise)

Would it be sufficient to provide a SW based configuration of the already available chord function?

And are you requesting dedicated chord entries for each track, or a pattern based chord entry, or a session wise chord entry?

-…

Should be possible as a configuration option.

improving the cc mute function
in a way that only the parameter layer of the incoming cc will be muted, instead of all layers as it is of now. maybe as well for note layers.

ok

maybe while startup?

how do you want to configure this, what kind of variety do you need (resp. how would you configure it) - take it as a use case)

Gate Modes as additional parameter layer to define step lengths (1/16; 1/8 etc.)?

As a replacement for a length layer, or just a different entry mode for the existing length layer?

euclid generator - note select function like it is within the random note generator

do you mean note selection or layer selection?

How should it look like in the GUI (the euclid page is already very crowded)

having the option to select track groups (by using the track group buttons) simultaneously (selecting more than one group)

what should happen when you select multiple groups?

duplicate actual track (doubles the length of the track by copying the content of the actual content of the track)

Already possible with the copy&paste function.

Press copy, then press&hold paste and move an encoder to shift the paste buffer to the end of the track

On/Off Toggle for ExtraCC# function within lfo menu (theres a free button below the ExtraCC;-)

--> this is my absolute favourite :-)

I know... tracked in the wishlist

/Update: implemented in v4.086

four additional sequencer control track-layers that provide automation lines for sequencer settings (delay note; repeats; delay/ length/ divider etc.)

Delay note is already possible, it's the "delay" parameter layer, or do you mean a different kind of delay?

Repeat, length and divider can't be defined in a step because these parameters have to be available *while* the sequencer decides the next step.

echo page: on/off switch would be handy (within the display between „trk.“ and „repeats“).

ok

two (or more) LFOs 

LFOs are "expensive", because we've 9 parameters which need to be stored in the 128-byte CC range.

Means: if I add a second LFO, I've to reject 9 potential "nice features" in future.

So: how important is this feature? I would only change this if multiple people request this - I wouldn't use it by myself, because I prefer LFO modulation at the synth side, and only use the SEQ based LFO for Notes.

Ok.

Btw.: I'm planning to improve recording anyhow, so that it's possible to record from the EDIT page by selecting the step which should be recorded

16 cc layers standard for every track configuration.

Memory<->Performance issue, see 2)

SR-allocation for important „live-tweakable“ parameter/trigger layer functions like note length etc.

I will add this to the wishlist, but making all parameters accessible will result into a lot of effort at my side :-/

Because I guess that you also want to get a (temporary) display of the changed value while you are moving the encoder, right?

ok.

Btw.: such a function would allocate memory of the CC memory space (128 bytes)

Is this function more important than a second LFO?

when in record mode:
-while record mode is set to mono, there is an option missing to select the note layer, the recorded notes are recorded into.

Ok.

But note again that in future we will have a more comfortable recording anyhow (from the EDIT page).

It could be that you won't use such an option anymore...

So: how important is this request, is it essential that you would even use it if an alternative (improved) way for step recording is available?

Automation port:
define a port which sends out all data in parallel (mute-cc information as well)

Sending all data via a common MIDI port will consume a lot of time and stall the sequencer due to the limited MIDI bandwidth.

E.g. sending out all CCs of all 16 tracks takes ca. 2.5 seconds - and in this case I even haven't considered that some CCs are 8bit (instead of 7bit) meanwhile - a "hack" that I unfortunately had to do in order to make other requests possible.

Such parameters would have to be sent via 14bit NRPNs, which increases the time to ca. 5 seconds.

Really useful?

It's again a lot of work for a feature which I wouldn't use by myself.

Therefore my question: are there other users interested on such a function?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

first off, thanks for that lightning speed with the update.

I am always amazed at how fast things can happen here in

Midibox Land.

Before i get to answer these proposals, they get implemented :blink:

I´ll try to keep up with that pace.

FX-Humanizer:

do you want to enter the CC number, or just select the parameter layers which should be humanized?

I think, selecting the parameter layer would be perfect as it extends the option of just selecting the cc.

extend parameter layers

The parameter storage is limited to 1024 bytes, and the trigger storage to 256 bytes.

For a parameter storage each step consumes 1 byte per layer, in the trigger storage 8 steps consume 1 byte per layer

This "full blown" parameter option 16 parameter layers and 8 trigger layers is already available, but you've only 64 steps (64*16 = 1024 bytes, 64*8/8 = 64 bytes)

A drum track would multiply the required storage depending on the number of instruments.

E.g. with 16 instruments such a configuration would consume 16k for only 64 steps.

This is dramatically more memory, and even worse: it takes much more time to load (and store) this amount of memory from/to SD Card.

Realtime switching between the patterns wouldn't be possible anymore.

Is this what you would accept?

(I don't think so)

So: I understand your request, but I don't see a potential for improvements here if we want to keep the major advantages of MBSEQ V4 (regardless if with or without Plus)

absoluteley understandable now. Thanks for pointing it out so clearly.

I also already spent some thought on this, e.g. to allow multiple length (and also velocities) in a track.

It's possible to provide this.

But we've 16 parameter layers maximum and have to keep this limit.

So: how many parameter layers are you normally using, and would it be acceptable to spend some layers for additional lengths?

can you point that out a bit? Why do we need to spend a layer for alternating the length of another layer? or is that a misunderstanding?

Would it be sufficient to allow the possibility to set the existing loop point only for certain parameter layers, and not all parameter layers?

yes, i initially thought it would be great if one could loop a layer with a step length independent of the trigger layers. one could use the cc layers as a kind of step-lfo-modulators then, for example.

How should the triggers be handled in this case?

keep their length, independent of the parameter layers.

use case:

Would it be sufficient to provide a SW based configuration of the already available chord function?

And are you requesting dedicated chord entries for each track, or a pattern based chord entry, or a session wise chord entry?

session wise chord entry would be sufficient i think. i just thought, that for big chords, this would be a handy function, to play a chord into memory and then being able to play back that chord, transposed by the played note.

i havent thought of a neat way to implement that though. and while playing with the new edit-record function, im not so sure anymore if it is needed - i think it is more on the "nice to have" side of things. so if you stumble across an idea and time to implement such a function - great.

-…

Should be possible as a configuration option.

that would be great.

maybe while startup?

how do you want to configure this, what kind of variety do you need (resp. how would you configure it) - take it as a use case)

maybe setting it up with variables that can be ordered somehow within the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file. In a way, that one can setup the order of the song positions to be saved, like:

A1: Tempo

A2: Mutes

A3: Mixer

A4: Pattern

A5: Jump

or:

A1: Tempo

A2: Mixer

A3: Pattern

A4:Jump

I thought, that it would be good to maybe save patterns without the mutes or the mixer state to be sent and that a configuration option for that is missing for now.

As a replacement for a length layer, or just a different entry mode for the existing length layer?

Maybe as an option (different entry mode) to the current length-layer input method. So the user can choose the length of notes right away.

do you mean note selection or layer selection?

How should it look like in the GUI (the euclid page is already very crowded)

If it is implemented as note selection, one could step through the notes of a chord and distribute those notes over the pattern, getting interesting "clashes" between the notes (assuming they get distributed over the respective note layers).

Yes, the gui is crowded. Maybe if the parameter names "Pulses" and "Offs." get shortened to "Pul" and "Ofs" there is enough space?

what should happen when you select multiple groups?

as soon, as there is a longpress (around 1 sec.) of two group buttons simultaneously, the respective tracks within those groups are selected.

Already possible with the copy&paste function.

Press copy, then press&hold paste and move an encoder to shift the paste buffer to the end of the track

I thought of it as a way, the elektron-sequencer does it. When you have a pattern of the length 16-steps and switch to a length of 32 steps, the steps 1-16 will be automatically doubled.

I know... tracked in the wishlist

THANK YOU!

Delay note is already possible, it's the "delay" parameter layer, or do you mean a different kind of delay?

Repeat, length and divider can't be defined in a step because these parameters have to be available *while* the sequencer decides the next step.

I knew the note delay layer. I thought of altering certain parameters while the seq is running. As i get you now, it is not possible the way i thought of it. So, according to that logic, it will not be possible to modulate the length of the notes by the lfo (for example) as well.

ok

Thank you!

two (or more) LFOs

LFOs are "expensive", because we've 9 parameters which need to be stored in the 128-byte CC range.

Means: if I add a second LFO, I've to reject 9 potential "nice features" in future.

So: how important is this feature? I would only change this if multiple people request this - I wouldn't use it by myself, because I prefer LFO modulation at the synth side, and only use the SEQ based LFO for Notes.

That cost is too much then. I think you are right and there are enough workarounds for that.

Ok.

Btw.: I'm planning to improve recording anyhow, so that it's possible to record from the EDIT page by selecting the step which should be recorded

Great. I tested the new functionality. It is such a great workflow enhancer. And the implementation is perfect like it is (4.086)

I will add this to the wishlist, but making all parameters accessible will result into a lot of effort at my side :-/

Because I guess that you also want to get a (temporary) display of the changed value while you are moving the encoder, right?

Hmmm, i see. But - displaying the value is not really needed. I thought of it as a purely live-oriented feature, where the parameters revert back to their original value, after they are tweaked. So it would be more about feeling than adjusting them meticulously.

ok.

Btw.: such a function would allocate memory of the CC memory space (128 bytes)

Is this function more important than a second LFO?

Yes, more important for sure. It would be easy to get harmonics done with one track then.

when in record mode

Ok.

But note again that in future we will have a more comfortable recording anyhow (from the EDIT page).

It could be that you won't use such an option anymore...

So: how important is this request, is it essential that you would even use it if an alternative (improved) way for step recording is available?

Not so much, the new way of Note-Input is a charm. But the catch i thought of with the proposal was, that when in mono input mode, one could select the first note layer, put in some notes, then select the second note layer, put in some notes using another step-input-length (1st input: 16th; 2nd input: 8ths).

Automation port:

Sending all data via a common MIDI port will consume a lot of time and stall the sequencer due to the limited MIDI bandwidth.

E.g. sending out all CCs of all 16 tracks takes ca. 2.5 seconds - and in this case I even haven't considered that some CCs are 8bit (instead of 7bit) meanwhile - a "hack" that I unfortunately had to do in order to make other requests possible.

Such parameters would have to be sent via 14bit NRPNs, which increases the time to ca. 5 seconds.

Really useful?

It's again a lot of work for a feature which I wouldn't use by myself.

Therefore my question: are there other users interested on such a function?

The way i have set up the Mbox NG now, cc parameters modulated by the seq (lfo/cc lines) wont be reflected by the led-rings of the encoders sending those ccs. If there would be feedback from the seq to the Mbox NG, the modulated parameters could be easily spotted. That was my imagination :-)

So not all parameters would have to be sent to that port, just the ccs.

What do other users think?

Again, thank you for implementing all and everything so fast. The Seq is already a masterpiece for sequencing. So versatile and fun to use. So much better than commercial sequencers.

Cheers

Daniel

use case:

session wise chord entry would be sufficient i think. i just thought, that for big chords, this would be a handy function, to play a chord into memory and then being able to play back that chord, transposed by the played note.

i havent thought of a neat way to implement that though. and while playing with the new edit-record function, im not so sure anymore if it is needed - i think it is more on the "nice to have" side of things. so if you stumble across an idea and time to implement such a function - great.

This is one of the way the Sequentix P3 can handles chords.  You have an "absolute" chord where you name the Note (eg; d5).

Or you can choose an "relative" mode.   Where you specify the "offset" from the main note.   So if your main note is f4 and you 

add a +1 then you have g4.

http://sequentix.com/pdf/p3-manual-v3.1.006.pdf

(under Aux Notes section)

----------> from P3 manual
The difference with the relative events is that you can now transpose all the notes in the chord just by 
changing the main note value on the step.

Let’s do the same thing, using the “aux note rel†event:
· set the note value on step 1 to C5 using the NOTE knob
· assign aux A to the event “aux note relâ€
· assign aux B to the event “aux note relâ€
· assign aux C to the event “aux note relâ€
· set the aux A value on step 1 to 4 using the UPPER knob
· set the aux B value on step 1 to 7 using the UPPER knob
· set the aux C value on step 1 to 11 using the UPPER knob
In the case of relative events, the note sent by each aux is the main note shifted by the aux value.
In this example, with a main note of C5:
· C5 + 4 semitones = E5
· C5 + 7 semitones = G5
· C5 + 11 semitones = B5

In MBSEQ you would transpose the notes played by a track centrally from a loopback track or external keyboard.

Advantage: all tracks follow the transpose note (or chord if arpeggiator is used) at once.

For those who prefer separate control, they could use different transpose/arpeggiator busses.

4 Busses are available, which should be sufficient (I never used more than 2 busses by myself)

@Daniel: I will reply to other ideas sooner or later (piecewise)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 9 months later...

wishlist? here's a thing that colin put into the cirklon for me & mr nagle..... when you are in record (doesn't matter if it's monophonic or polyphonic) the pattern loops around & plays back what you just played, but each time with a configured reduction in velocity.

the original idea was to emulate in midi the behaviour of the "frippertronics" tape-delay system & its many solid-state clones.

of course, the first thing I did was use the function with a patch that had velocity crossfade between two timbres.

could this be done on the midiseq somehow?

duncan (r.m.i.)

• Like 1

hi thorsten,

some new proposals came up (building on whats already within this thread).

TK., on 05 Sept 2014 - 18:04, said:snapback.png

1. press and hold "copy" button

2. press paste button

3. pattern length is doubled along with all layer informations

ok, this is easy ;-)

Added to the wishlist

--> are there any news on that proposal? because i find myself quite often using the euclid-function and i always think "hmmmm, i want to select note/note layers the euclid population will be directed to"

No, but since there is no better idea yet, I finally added it to the wishlist

Euclid generator: allow to select the note layer into which the pattern will be copied

---> this one moved up and up on my list. what do you think about that extension of an already existing "killer feature" which is the save&take over patterns function

ok, added to the wishlist as well so that it doesn't get lost

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Euclid generator enhancement: there is a general problem with this idea

Currently the generator just enables/disables the gate based on the selected pattern.

This has the advantage, that we can prepare all steps with different note values (in all available parameter layers), and play them based on the euclid pattern selection.

The same approach isn't possible if notes should be enabled/disabled in a dedicated parameter layer.

Instead, the only simply way I could imagine would be to leave the gates untouched, and to overwrite the parameter layer with a selectable note value, which is set whenever the normal function would set a gate, and cleared (0) whenever the gate wouldn't be set

In distance to the original function, this would be a destructive change, which means that previous note values of the layer will get lost.

But the actual problem is, that the note pattern written into the parameter layer won't be played according to the euclid pattern since it has no individual gate!

Notes will only be played if the gate is set

Please try following version, it will be easier to understand the problem just by trying out:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_089_pre4.zip

- change to euclid generator

- ensure that the first parameter layer is selected

- select 5 Pulses

- now change to another parameter layer which plays notes with GP4 encoder

- change the note value so that you can differ between the one played by ParA with GP5 encoder

- change pulses for this layer with GP10 encoder

-> at the right side of the display each note which can't be played due to a missing gate will be marked with '-'

Currently I only see one solution at the user side:

- in parameter layer A, enable the gate for all steps and disable all notes (set them to "---")

- use the remaining layers to play different notes based on different euclid patterns

Other ideas?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hey thorsten,

i tried the new implementation.

i think as it is right now, its a bit confusing.

maybe its an option, to shift the values in the right display

to make room for an additional parameter

"GTE"

when G9 (below GTE) is pressed (longpress), a message will be displayed, informing about:

"all notes within parameter layer "a" will be set to off, with gate enabled for all steps"

after this, every other layer then "a" can be populated with the selected parameter values.

For this,

Len / Pulses / Offs.

has to look like:

GTE / Len / Puls / Offs

Also, when ParA is selected, the original gates (and maybe notes?) could be restored by pressing G5 (below Val.), which would be easier than turnign the encoder.

what do you think, would that be easier (albeit sounding more complicated ;-)

Seems that you want to introduce help texts with longpressed keys - I don't really want to start with this, because either this has to be supported everywhere, or nowhere - I prefer nowhere, since "push&hold" functions are sometimes used for other purposes.

A common user won't understand the purpose of the GTE function without a more detailed documentation anyhow.

I think that it would be better if there is a tutorial in the Wiki (written by you, because you initiated this feature ;-) which describes your use case, and how the generator has to be prepared to work properly.

Here the entry point for the documentation: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mididocs:index

In order to set all gates, and to clear all notes of parameter layer A, just use the ALL function in the edit page.

UNDO: press COPY before the operation, press PASTE if you want to undo the change.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi everyone. Just discovering my new SEQV4 and i will slowly read everything about it but 2 things that wanted to ask first:

-Scrolling down to Note c-2 brings a blank line and then back up to C3. Is there a way to avoid that and go back up from c-2? 

-Is there a way to make microtiming adjustments of the steps like on new Elektron sequencers. That is a VERY nice feature.

thanks 

-Scrolling down to Note c-2 brings a blank line and then back up to C3. Is there a way to avoid that and go back up from c-2? 

This was a special user request, I haven't made it optional.

-Is there a way to make microtiming adjustments of the steps like on new Elektron sequencers. That is a VERY nice feature.

I don't know the new Elektron sequencers, but I guess that you mean the "delay" parameter, which can be assigned to a parameter layer.

It allows to adjust the delay from 1..96 microticks for each individual step.

Alternatively (and that's the way I prefer) create a custom groove template with a certain length (e.g. 4), and set individual delays for each groove step, it will then be applied to all tracks which are assigned to the groove template

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yes it is what i meant, and it can be positive or negative. excellent!

for the scrolling down limit, it would be nice to be able to disable it. you can always make the step silent again by clicking the step button and double clicking to bring back C3. 

thanks Thorsten &co for the awesome work in what it seems many years of development and hard work. i'm just jumping on the boat now and looking fwd to this journey ;)

for the scrolling down limit, it would be nice to be able to disable it. you can always make the step silent again by clicking the step button and double clicking to bring back C3. 

But you can't do this in the additional note layers of a track - here you've to disable the note by setting it to the lowest value (which is displayed as "---"), and if you want to play the note again it's better if it starts from C3

I'm wondering, why you've to set the note to the lowest at your side?

Actually I would like to avoid too many (confusing) options. I will only add it if there are good reasons, and if multiple users confirm that it makes sense.

Best Regards, Thorsten.