MIDIdocs: What the Hell is a Mixer Map? (discussion thread)

borfo

Again, very useful! I feel like a new world has opened in front of my eyes :-)

A few comments:

"In firmware v.87, each Mixer Map Column has 12 control pages"...

Isn't the current firmware 086..?

You can set an external control CC that triggers Mixer Mode dumps. Configure this from the MIDI Page's (MENU+GP#15) External Control subpage.

It would be good if this was elaborated with an example. But if I've understood this function correctly (just by reading your wiki entry and a little bit of TK's Menu Pages manual), it works like this: Let's say I have arranged Mixer Map #1 for a few Program Changes, and I want to dump the Map at a certain point in my song to effect those PCs. I would go to the MIDI setup page's Ext. Ctrl page (MENU+GP15 -> GP7), and let's say I have initialised a track on MIDI Channel 13 as a CC track. In the Ext. Ctrl page I would set Chn. to #13, designate the function as "Mixer Map", and choose a CC# number which will send the Mixer Map dump command (let's say I set it at 111) . When I now use my mentioned CC track to send a CC#111, it will dump Mixer Map #1 and effect the Program Changes I planned.

Was this correct?

I would suggest one addition (in bold):

In firmware v.87, each Mixer Map Column has 12 control pages (more may be added in the future). You can scroll through the pages by using the data wheel. Currently, the 12 controls are:

Edited by jjonas

Again, very useful! I feel like a new world has opened in front of my eyes :-)

Thanks.

A few comments:

"In firmware v.87, each Mixer Map Column has 12 control pages"...

Isn't the current firmware 086..?

v. 87 is a prerelease that supports novation launchpad BLMs - it's what I have installed right now, and I figure it'll be released soon enough, so may as well use it - that way the article will stay up-to-date just that little bit longer.  haha.

You can set an external control CC that triggers Mixer Mode dumps. Configure this from the MIDI Page's (MENU+GP#15) External Control subpage.

It would be good if this was elaborated with an example. But if I've understood this function correctly (just by reading your wiki entry and a little bit of TK's Menu Pages manual), it works like this: Let's say I have arranged Mixer Map #1 for a few Program Changes, and I want to dump the Map at a certain point in my song to effect those PCs. I would go to the MIDI setup page's Ext. Ctrl page (MENU+GP15 -> GP7), and let's say I have initialised a track on MIDI Channel 13 as a CC track. In the Ext. Ctrl page I would set Chn. to #13, designate the function as "Mixer Map", and choose a CC# number which will send the Mixer Map dump command (let's say I set it at 111) . When I now use my mentioned CC track to send a CC#111, it will dump Mixer Map #1 and effect the Program Changes I planned.

Was this correct?

I've never triggered a mixer map dump from a CC, so I'm honestly not sure...  But that sounds right.  I am planning on writing an external control article in the future, and when I do that, I'll test out all the external control features, and I'll add some more specific examples.  In the meantime, feel free to test it yourself and add an example to the Wiki.

I'm relatively new to the SEQ, I am finding that writing these articles is a really great way to get to know all the features.

I would suggest one addition (in bold):

In firmware v.87, each Mixer Map Column has 12 control pages (more may be added in the future). You can scroll through the pages by using the data wheel. Currently, the 12 controls are:

Added.  Thanks.

Edited by borfo

More on the CC control of Mixer Maps question.  I misread your question and probably answered a bit too hastily.  This is a bit of a guess since I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that because there are 127 Mixer Maps available, the value sent on the external control CC# will determine which mixer map is dumped.  ie: if you've got CC 111 set for Mixer Map dumps, and you send a CC 111 value of 3, I imagine Mixer Map #3 will be dumped.  Maybe someone who uses external control can confirm this.

Also, in your example, if you're using a track on the SEQ (rather than an external MIDI controller) to send the CCs that trigger the mixer map dumps, I think you would have to send that track to Bus1-4, and set up that bus on the MIDI External Control page for the mixer map trigger CC.