Making a controller for my Daw (Cubase) What do i need?

Soundcheck

Hi. 

I was wondering if maby you guys could help me little. :) Im a newbie to Midi Diy

Im going to build myself at controller for my studio with motorized faders. Im only gonna have faders, no knobs or switches and so on. Later i maby want to put some leds in this, but i want to start off with the faders and get that working first. 

So the question is what kind of modules do i need for that. I want it to be 64 faders in total. I already have 40+ motorized faders laying around. 

Her are som details of the project. 

I have an old analoge mixer frame, that i want to use where i have ripped out all the old electronics and racked up some of the old channel strips. In this mixer frame its possible to put in 64 faders, the rest of the empty space im gonna make 19" rack for my hardware stuff. But i need faders to control mye Cubase 7. I have buildt a lot of analog gear so i know how to solder, but im new to Midi. :) 

I see that i can have max 32 faders on 4 modules? Can i make 2 systems that works on different banks for example channel 1 to 32 on one system and 33 to 64 on the second one? And is it possible to add banks/layer since my projects often are more than 64 channels, so i can hit a switch and move all the faders a bank/layer up/down? 

Hi soundcheck

First welcome to midibox. 

Im shure you are at the right place for your project.

The momentary project MF_NG can handle 32 Faders as you already know.. I don't think anybody jet did a second batch of 32 Faders. Mostly due to cost. So you may be the first. But don't fear. Maybe TK can give you a answer on the purpose of connecting two cores together with each 32 Faders.

What you have to check first is if its possible to connect so many faders to cubase. So im quite sure that the used motormix protocol does not serve more than 32 faders. I think due to some reasons you might want to consider. The Motormix Protocol makes a 14bit tracking resolution upon each of your fader. The most common used Protocol is the Behringer BCF2000 witch tracks your fader with 8bit (my assumption, please correct me if im wrong.) So you see the protocol you use will be important to layout a plan of how to build your controller. I don't know qubase in its newest version. 

maybe you can get some informations in the Manual or in the helpfiles.

To the question about the Layers. Im quite sure that is possible with the presets you can program in MIOS.

best regards

novski

Thanks for the Welcome. 

Cubase can handle 64 faders if i use the Generic Remote. With this you have at learn function, you hold in learn button in Cubase and touch the fader, then you can assign it wherever you want. Not just that, with the Generic remote you can even have more than 64. Just to add another Generic remote and then you have 64 more faders you can have at the same time. You can also mix Hui Controls or other midi setups in the same way. Another thing i was wondering was to split the 2 batches of 32 faders each on 2 midi in ports on my midi interface to even make it easier, and then just create 2 Generic remotes in Cubase and set thing up from there. 

But do i only need 4 modules of the MF_NG to get 32 faders or 8 modules to get 64? Or do i need a Core for this too? 

Best Regards

SoundCheck

You need one MF_NG for 8 Faders. Those MF_NG modules are connected to the Core. So you need a core as well. If its possible to connect two cores together i don't know. 

I made a schematic that makes it more clear. All through it was made in thought that four MF_NG (or 32 Faders) will be max...

have a look: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fadercore_-_fadermodule_for_audio_daw

best regards, novski

• 2 months later...
Hello! here's another one trying to face the MIDIBOX project.
Well ... I intend, if the core features allow, mount a daw (digital audio workstation) with motorized fader`s.
The problem is the latency due to the number of used components (leds, vu, buttons, encoders, display, etc ...). someone who has already built and, with practical experience, let me know about the system latency as it is only viable if it is too low. The new core (LPC17) communicates over USB, but the built-in command protocol is MIDI.

Thank you