Revised 25-pin breakout port

TK.

Hi,

since the old posting got lost, I will write a new one and give you some updates.

I've overworked the 25-pin breakout port for MBSEQ (and MBCV V2) to allow interconnections between an AOUT(_NG) module and MIDIbox over long cables (at least 2m will be possible).
In addition, the previously direct J5/J28 outputs for gates and DIN clock have been replaced by a DOUT connection, which means that level-shifting is now done via 74HC595 SRs, and more than 10 outputs are available (e.g. I'm planning to provide multiple Clock and Start/Stop outputs, but also the 64 drum trigger outputs can now be made available in a breakout box).

Picture of the prototype:

mbcv_v2_long_cable.jpg

Schematic of the transmitter part: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_line_driver_transmitter.pdf

Schematic of the receiver part: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_line_driver_receiver.pdf

Update: today I created the layouts and ordered at OSH park.

Boards should be available for testing in ca. 3..4 weeks

mbhp_line_driver_transmitter_v1.png

mbhp_line_driver_receiver_v1.png

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Very cool! Are there plans to adapt this for MB_NG? I'm interested in building an external pedal board that will have some additional DIN/DOUT inside. Or is there a simpler way to do this if all I'm looking for is extending the SRIO?

Are there plans to adapt this for MB_NG? I'm interested in building an external pedal board that will have some additional DIN/DOUT inside.

It will work with any MIDIbox, which means: also with MIDIbox NG.

It's the right approach for an external pedal board - but let me prove the robustness first before I can confirm that it will really help.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news on this topic: I got the PCBs and they are working!

E.g. here I connected a TPD to the line drivers, a bidirectional SRIO is working over a long cable without flickering LEDs or unstable encoder/button scans:

mbhp_line_driver_tpd.jpg

And I tried an AOUT_NG module which works as well:

mbhp_line_driver_aout_ng.jpg

I'm surprised by myself that it works w/o issues, because I haven't found so many references to these wonderful chips in the DIY world :)

Therefore I'm crossing fingers that I haven't overlooked something ;-)

However, I will do some additional checks this weekend and release the .brd files if I don't notice issues.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks T.K.  This is awesome.

I will most likely be adding this to my seqv4 when i get it up and running.

Sorry if this is a dumb annoying question but....

Why not just make it a shared project on oshpark.com?

Looking at the .brd in Kicad now....nice layout!

So i had to fill the ground plane when i opened it in kicad but otherwise it seems to be in tact.

Edited by k-rAd MB6401

• 3 weeks later...
In theory I think it should, although you may run into latency problems if you cascade too many chains. Are you planning to use two different cases? Can you not just run two Cores? Also AOUT is limited to 8 channels for most applications at the moment.

Hello

What amount of latency ? if it's in the ms range it's not a problem for me.

My built is an automated fader system for a 40 years old analog modular desk, I have some room issue in the frame, core and PSU have to be outside (maybe in a 19' rack few meter away), also interconnection/link between subframe (8 modules, channel/fader) need long wire due to mechanical restriction.

It's not really different cases but in fact I have to think like it was :happy:

Multi core is an available option

I read somewhere in the forum that someone run two chained AOUT_NG with succes

This line transmitter deserve a try in my build for sure...

Zam

It should work, latency shouldn't be an issue - but I never tested this by myself, and I can't exactly say how many MBHP_DRIVER modules can be used in a chain.

But with only two drivers in the chain it should work.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It should work, latency shouldn't be an issue - but I never tested this by myself, and I can't exactly say how many MBHP_DRIVER modules can be used in a chain.

But with only two drivers in the chain it should work.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Tks for info TK

I will try! just need to fix/test other part of my build before :)

best

Zam

• 2 weeks later...

[status: order closed]

I'm ordering 10 pairs of Transmitter/Receiver boards and selling 9 pairs. I'll ship them out at the end of January and will only take payment at that time.

Update as of 01.30.2015 @ 11.00 - all boards shipped

mfk: 1 pair- shipped

borfo: 1 pair - shipped

rowan: 1 pair - shipped

CJ55: 1 pair - shipped

jojjelito: 1 pair - shipped

monokinetic: 2 pairs - shipped

Ungleichklang: 1 pair - shipped

grizz: 1 pair - shipped

(Notes: This is just a one-off run, I won't be doing any more. If anyone else needs more, I suggest simply uploading the .brd files to OSHPark.com or following this thread for other possible groupbuys)

Edited by sneakthief