Panel mounted SDcard reader

John_W._Couvillon

John, you are a little vague with your question but what I have used for the SD card slot is a small breakout board made by Sparkfun.com   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12941

This unit has a spring loaded socket that ejects the card when you push on the inserted SD card.

I solder a 10 pin connector on the unit then make a cable that connects the card reader to the LPC17 board.  The back of the breakout board is completely flat except for the soldering of the connector that I add.  I just cut a small area in the wood where the connector is soldered and take some screws that hold down the edge of the board onto a flat area of the wood.  The head of the screws overlap on top of PC board so drilling in not necessary on the breakout PCB.  You do need something at the bottom of the board so it doesn't get pushed down when inserting the cards.

I use a .080" thick Acrylic sheet for the face of my panels with a slot that the SD card can be inserted into the breakout board slot.  I drill holes for the switches and mask off an area for the display in the plastic then spray paint the back of it with black paint. After 2 or 3 days of drying, I then glue the panel onto the recessed wood opening with bathroom caulk.  The only drawback is that the panel is shinny and can scratch plus show finger prints.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input.  Google brought up several sources.  The style I am looking for is of the type sold by ESS, http://www.esskabel.de/upload/files/pdf/ADA-SDCARD-USB_EN.pdf.  Only problem is that it adapts to USB.  There is also one similar to the sparkfun unit available from Parallex, but has no angle bracket to mount the PCB at 90 deg. to the face of the vertical wood surface.

Johnc

How thick is your wood panel? Most of these readers have the SD card stick out about 1/4" when inserted.   Why not just glue a wood block next to the slot to screw the board to.  This way it only shows the slot and no screws in front.  Or glue a right angle bracket to the back side of the board and screw it from behind your panel.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, I plan to use a  3/16" panel,  and yu read my mind.  The SD reader will mount on a wood block glued to the back of the panel.  When the sd card is in the reader, about 1/4" sticks out, so it should fit perfectly.  The pushbuttons, LCD and encoder switch will also be on the panel.

Thanks for the input.

johnc