Midi Event processor project

alexglvr

Hello,

I need for my guitar Rig something I will call a MIDI Event processor.

The goal is to scan the midi message and on some MIDI events, generate several pre-programmed midi command.

After a long search not he internet, I found only one solution from "MIDI Solution", but the number of preset is too limited for my application.

Therefore, I am exploring using uCApps solutions to make it.

As I only know the Pic based core which I used for several applications, I would like to have your advise and be sure the STM32F4 Core can fit my needs.

1.For the programming interface I will need

- 1 or 2 rotary encoders

- a few (less than 10) switches

- a graphical LCD display (192x32 based on the ST7920)

2. For MIDI, one MIDI_IO module should be nice

3. The USB connection and SD card interface can also be quite interesting.

I suppose that STM32F4 core can support all that in the same time, but I would like your confirmation please?

Now, the "big" problem is the memory.

I need to store in the beast the presets.

Each preset will be around 256 bytes (trigger, order to send, preset name, etc…)

if I want 256 possible presets, it gives a total memory of 64kbytes.

Can I use the STM32F4 Flash memory to store my presets or is it fully used by the program?

Thank you for your help,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I think that MIDIbox NG is the best choice in your case, no need to write a special firmware.

Presets could be written into .NGR scripts, see also http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_ng_manual_ngr.html

The script is directly executed from SD Card, there are commands to send any MIDI messages (including SysEx strings), so that there are actually no limitations.

MBNG also supports graphical displays, see http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_ng_manual_lcd.html

ST7920 GLCDs are not supported. If you don't want to write your own driver, please select a GLCD which is already supported by MIOS32.

Best Regards, Thorsten.