gigging a MB-6582 - the reCyclotron 64

tonysnail

Hi all!

Thought you might like to see my synth! It uses a MB-6582 as the core, running through an SSM2044 filter module, controlled by an Arduino..

I only just realised that the Midibox SID has an analog CV out, but it was too late! I ended up coding an Arduino with a seperate envelope generator and CV out, with two modes - one is a dirty PWM output that mashes up the CV through some filthy capacitor filtering - this is what I'm using in the video clip.. I've since added a seperate DAC chip output for a cleaner CV, but since I liked the sound the PWM filter makes, I kept it, and added a switch to toggle between both modes.

I also cannibalized the C64 power supply, so now the whole unit all runs from a kettle lead on the back of the box..

There's some big faders on the left controlling the ADSR, which makes hands-on control of the filter a piece of cake, which is crucial when you're in the midst of a funk jam! There's a MIDI controller built into the box, and the Mod Wheel also controls the filter..

Excuse the MDF box and marker pen labels - presentation was never my speciality! I think it fits the disgustingly mighty sound this monster monosynth creates!

Here's a clip from the reCyclotron 64's first outing last week at my Groove Night.. Enjoy the filthy sound of four SID chips running through an SSM2044, into a Roland Jazz Chorus, with some extremely funky British musicians!

And big up TK and Wilba for some awesome electronics x

Carl

post-6876-0-84942800-1418772326_thumb.jp

post-6876-0-04373600-1418772335_thumb.jp

Edited by tonysnail