a little wavetable help please..

tonysnail

Hi,

I'm struggling to figure out how the new V2 Wavetable editor works.. I followed the tutorial to rip the instruments from a .sid file, and ended up with this..

Wave Transpose Att Dec Sus Rel

10       +00 (+00)   0 112  80  72 

+00     +00 (+00)   ...  ...   ...    ... 

+00     +00 (+00)   0 120   0    0 

10       +00 (+00)   0   0     0    0 

00       +00 (+00)   0 112  80  72

04       +31 ( 31)    ...  ...    ...   ...

and so on..

However, I can't seem to find where the command byte is (i.e. PLAY, GOTO), or where to put it in the SID wavetable editor..

Could someone give me a quick and dirty explaination of where to input these parameters in the control surface's WT editor? (guessing it's the $00 $20 $40 $60)

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by tonysnail

Hi Carl,

it looks like this is only a static pulse waveform with attack 0, decay 112, sustain 80, release 72

So: no wavetable required.

The previous steps apply the so called ADSR workaround, MBSID will do this automatically with the ABW flag set in the CFG page.

It will cause a +20 mS delay like in the original tune that you've ripped.

Unfortunately not so nice for live playing - dammed SID!

Blame Commodore that they never initiated a SID redesign to fix the bug :-/

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK..

I'm still scratching my head and wondering how you can see what is going on from that table of numbers - I'm scanning the parameter chart and still no clue.. 

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsynthesizers%2Fmidibox_sid_v2%2Fdoc%2Fmbsidv2_parameter_chart.txt

I'm looking at one of the tutorials - this one is how to make a Sync Lead, and I understand what's going on here..

• OSC3: enable the Saw waveform and transpose by -12
    OSC1: enable the Saw waveform and set the sync flag
    ENV1: depth=+63, Attack=0, Decay=72, Sustain=0, Release=0
    LFO1: Rate=24
    Wavetable: Track1 assigned to CC#72 (LFO1 Depth), adjust the Wavetable Rate to 5 and enter following sequence:

STEP CMD #1 
    00 Play 40 
    01 Play +00 
    02 Play +00 
    03 Play +00 
    04 Play +01 
    05 Play +01 
    06 Play +02 
    07 Play +02 
    08 Play +02 
    09 Play +04 
    0A Play +04 
    0B Goto 01

So having set LFO1 to modulate the pitch of OSC1, the ADSR of the patch and configuring the parameters of wavetable 1 (Track 1 assigned to CC#72), I hit the WT Editor menu.. And I'm presented with this:

wte1.gif

How do I input that series of Play / Goto instructions? And where do I find the hex value for a 'Play' / 'Goto' operand?

Cheers for your patience, I am but a SID padawan..

Carl

Edited by tonysnail

Hi Carl,

MBSID V2 works a bit different compared to V1.

Instead of Play and Goto commands, you just specify the begin and end of the WT sequence in the WTC menu:

wtc1.gif

In addition you can specify a Loop point.

So, for the particular sequence above, specify:

Beg: 00

End: 0A

Lop: 01

Btw.: there is a wavetable tutorial in the "first steps" section of the user manual which explains the basics: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_fs.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The tutorials are for MBSID version 1, so wavetables behave somewhat differently in v2. E.g. there's no Play and Goto commands. Also, I cannot help you with creating a Sync lead, but I hope can give you a better understanding on how the wavetables work in general. This might have some mistakes in it, hopefully someone more qualified will correct me if that is the case, but anyway based on this understanding I have been able to make something useful with wavetables :-)

In the tutorial you have quoted in your mail, the column STEP equals the column POS (position) in the actual wavetable on the synth (MBSID v2). The four next columns in the wavetable ($00–$60) are entries for the position that's visible on the synth screen (=first column). The second column (above beginning with $00), starts from $00 and goes down to $1F. This is wavetable 1. Next column (above, starting with $20) is wavetable 2, and it starts from $20 and goes down to $2F – and so on. (I'm not sure if you can extent wavetable one beyond 1F at the expense of the other wavetables, I haven't tried, but you would seem to be able to set wavetable length in the WTC screen.)

Let's suppose you want to use only wavetable 1. You want to enter stuff into two columns, the POS column and the second column that begins with $00. Let's make a simple arpeggio style sound. In the wavetable configuration you first choose the parameter (PAR) that you want (they're in the parameter chart); in this example we'll select wavetable one (WT column), use parameter 32, which selects oscillator 1 waveform. Let's also set the wavetable length and looping: dial 00 in BEG column and 01 in END column. On LOP column you select the POS where the wavetable will jump when it reaches its end (if LOP is set to ---, the wavetable will play only once). Let's set LOP to 00.

Now we go to the wavetable editor, and for POS 00 we enter some value to select the waveform which will be selected the moment you press a key on your midi controller. Let's select 04 (NB: 01 is different than +01), and for POS 01 let's select value 02.

What we have now is a wavetable which is two steps long, and when it reaches the end, it will loop from the beginning. What it does is it will switch between two waveforms.

This didn't quite answer your question, at least not all of it, but I hope it helps at least somewhat. (And I hope I didn't make too many mistakes :-)