[Nevermind - These displays don't work with the SID]

borfo

EDIT:  Nevermind - according to Altitude these displays don't work with the MB6582 boards without some driver hacking...  See his posts below.

################################################

Anyone interested in a group buy from Noritake-vfd.com?  They have great sales on a pretty regular basis, and right now 20x4 VFDs are on sale for $18.  Just so happens I have to buy a 20x4 for the SID PCB I just ordered..

CU20045-UW5A - 20x4 VFD - $18

http://noritake-vfd.com/cu20045-uw5a.aspx

They're very nice displays - I have 40x2's on my SEQ and they are great.  Very fast updates.

I'm happy to run a buy, but if someone in the states wants to do it, it would be significantly cheaper.  Noritake ships from the US, I think shipping is about $10 within the US for a small-ish order.  Shipping to Canada would mean higher shipping costs + the possibility of import taxes on a large order.

The picture below is a little blurry, these displays are very sharp - much sharper than it looks in the picture below.  Really bright too.

DjjYHRg.jpg

Edited by borfo

dont bother, they dont work without a custom driver. i have one i can sell you cheap if you want to give it a go

Looks like there's code for it already though - this one is the just the international fonts version of the one Hawkeye talks about in this thread:

...what type of display do you have?

Yeah, my 40 x 2's worked out of the box...  But that other thread does say that there were issues with the UWQ5J version on the SID.  More discussion here:

Hawkeye got his working though, and the code is there.

Edited by borfo

He got it working on a bare core without the CS (I sent him one to try to sort it out), I could duplicate that here as well but it crashes if you connect it to a MB6582 mainboard, you get garbled display once you start using the controls it will eventual go out.  Someone with time, a MB6582 mainboard, and knowledge of writing drivers may figure it out.  It's not the same thing Hawkeye used in his.

I got very excited about this as well and bought 5 but they do NOT work with any existing driver.  If you want to give it a go, I'll send you one, just pay shipping

Edited by Altitude

Confirmed, it is difficult... It works fine in my MB6582, but not in Altitudes, despite identical codebase - sth is different. It works fine on a bare 8-bit core, though.

And I think it should be possible to get it working in 32-bit land, as well. The price is great, but only worth the hassle if you are ready for some PIC assembler headaches :-).

Many greets,

Peter