PIC18F45k50 MIDIBOX?

operators123

Hi, I've just discovered midibox and I think it's the best way to go about building a DJ controller. It looks very flexible and seems to offer very good performance (<1ms latency really interested me).

Anyways, I want to use the PIC based core module built from scratch, I noticed it uses a PIC18F452 though.

I have a brand new PIC18F45k50 sitting at home and it'd be great if I could use this. I think it's alot newer but more importantly has D-/D+ ports for USB2.0 communication which means I can directly connect it to my USB ports and use it rather than having some kind of UART to USB circuit.

I want to know if it's possible to make some kind of PIC18f45k50 based core module based off the existing core module design, and if I could still program it with the bootloader once, and program all the I/O's over USB connection (I noticed there's a GUI program, you can use this to set what each button/pot/LED does right?)

I think your information is slightly out-dated. The most current core is STM32F4 based. The PIC core is at the end of capabilities. Your PIC is not even supported and would require you to rewrite code. 

I would recommend you move to the STM32F4, it's not that expensive. You can then use the Midibox NG project which is aimed at controllers.

• Like 1

Ah right, I didn't actually read about that one, I just assumed the ARM boards were a bit expensive and that PIC's were a more affordable solution, but the STM32F4 board is only £10 which is great so I guess I'm going to go with that instead. Just wish there was a PCB design available I could make the midibox core module myself  :shifty: Guess I'll use the schematic and design it myself

Edited by operators123

• 7 months later...