Only 1 MIDI port detected with GM5x5x5 on OS X Yosemite

m00dawg

I just re-installed OS X on my laptop and ended up having to do a clean install. I am using Yosemite and noticed that OSX now only detects 1 port on my GM5x5x5 only. I tried both the MidiBox and Ploytech settings (the J8 jumper) but it shows up the same in both cases - just one port comes up in Audio/MIDI setup. I was running on Yosemite previous but that was an upgrade from Mavericks (which I think was an upgrade from Mountain Lion).

Anyone having a similar issue? I can't find any drivers for OS X apart from the built-in ones, so I'm at a loss on how to make the other ports show up :(

To be clear, I used to have all 5 ports visible on my previous OS X install.

Hi mOOdawg

I've just checked one of my GM5x5x5's on a MacMini running OSX 10.10.2 and it's not showing up at all, works just fine with OSX 10.9. 

Also, checked one of the original 1x1 interfaces and it shows up - but the display in the midi window of the Mac Audio MIDI Setup utility is showing the icon for the 5x5x5. Go figure!

Unfortunately not in a position at the moment to test actual midi data in and out on the MacMini. However, should TK need help with this I can certainly move some equipment around to assist any troubleshooting required.

All the best

John

Ah hmm...quite odd. It really annoys me all the things Apple neglects at the expense of making UI tweaks, but I digress... I was able to get the first port working (at least output, though I haven't tried input yet). So I can function at least, although I'm not really sure where to go from here, other than to setup Ableton Live on my Windows box. But, man, the one thing Apple got right was Audio and MIDI :/

Just tried my V4 sequencer (with STM32 core) on the MacMini running OSX 10.10.2 and it sees that but again I wasn't able to check whether there is any midi data transfer. It's my work computer so no music software installed.

At least TK has Mac computers,  although I have no idea what OSX version he is using. I seem to remember, in the past Ploytec have been able to get Apple to fix the drivers fairly quickly.

But I agree Apple isn't all it claims to be - was once a fan-boy but no more - though I still have my Mac Plus that was upgraded from one of the very first batches of Macintosh 128K's that was imported into the UK back in 1984 - cost over 2000 GBP at the time !!

Edited by JohnnieBee

Thanks TK!

I tried that multiple times yesterday without sucess, but I did that just now and it worked. Not sure what to make of that, but it works now! Maybe I needed to reboot a few times or something? *shrug*

Either way, I'm up and running now! Thanks again for the help!