USB connector on STM32F4

electrodancer

Hello there

im wondering why the stm core uses the small usb connector...i really like the normal USB connector on the LPC core this is more solid and im somewhat

scared to break off the small connector on the STM32F4 core....has anybody got a solution for this ?

cheers,

electro

I have the same concern.

On my MBCV V2, I have cut off the other end (not the Micro side) and soldered a USB type B female socket to it that is attached to the case.

The solution I am going for now is this cable/adapter that TK suggests

http://www.reichelt.de/DELOCK-83183/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=126860&artnr=DELOCK+83183&SEARCH=DELOCK+83183

With this OTG is possible 

I have just posted some questions related to the cabling here 

ive been looking at the schematic...it seems like there is no breakoutpin on the stm board for usb (or at least some of the pins needed for usb)...and in that way it makse sense that there is no usb connector on the stm core board itself

thanks for your reply eptheca.... i will look into this !

In my MIDIbox FM V2.1 (with STM32F4), I used this adapter cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cm-USB-2-0-B-Female-socket-Printer-Panel-Mount-to-USB-Micro-B-5-pin-male-cable-/291006031451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c14fa65b

Much less risky than desoldering SMT, and it has worked fine so far. Of course, this assumes you're only using the STM32F4 as the USB Device, i.e. plugging it into a PC.

• 1 month later...
yes you can power the SEQ V4 over USB, but use a powered Hub, the computer socket will not work

I have tried one of these adapter cable and it powers my SEQ directly from the USB port on my Macbook Pro, no powered hub is needed.

It all depends on how much current the USB port your connector it to can provide.

I have tried one of these adapter cable and it powers my SEQ directly from the USB port on my Macbook Pro, no powered hub is needed.

It all depends on how much current the USB port your connector it to can provide.

yes, that is true, some USB 3.0 ports deliver 900mA, which could be enough

the standard usb 2.0 port delivers 500mA, which is not enough for a SEQ V4, but it also depends on the CS, LED's, LCD's etc.

thanks guys....ik know about the powered hub....i got three of those

just wondering if this cable can be used to power a full seqv4 with leds lcds wilba CS and midi IO boards and iic module

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cm-USB-2-0-B-Female-socket-Printer-Panel-Mount-to-USB-Micro-B-5-pin-male-cable-/291006031451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c14fa65b