step trigger?

nukemodular

hey...since a long time abstinence here and sadly also rarely using my midibox (i didn't follow the alwaysevolving firmware updates with this box)...i have a question....maybe its implemented already or maybe not.

since playing with an sh101 with the internal sequencer by triggering it via gate/clocks, i asked myself if such a function is possible with the mbseq 4?...so what i mean is:  having a sequence of notes in one part and triggering the stepprogression with another sequence, like the sh101 behaves. with this you create a fixed rythmic pattern with using per step the notes of another sequence. possible? :)

1. ...you mean if a kick comes, the melody sequencer step one step forward?

or

2. ...you mean if a kick comes, then currently playing melody sequencer note is played (and only then)...

in second case i have programmed a MiosBased application called TRIGGER MATRIX take a look:

https://vimeo.com/117018283

and:

...in the moment i try to activate the ethernet connection...and from this it will be easy to get acces from a tablet to the matrix...so tablet + lpc17 board + OSC software=all  (in near future, its a matter of understand w.t.hell this client server ethernet works...)

...will take 3 more weaks or so to release TM.V01

just a few thougts, to the topic

4/4 64step drumsequence:

must always have a amount of 8 or 16 or 32 Drumnote to set HI, if you want to avoid shifting melody (so step 1 of Melody is not everytime on 1 maybe it is on 7 8 or 56...) - if you kill some notes the moldy line would run completely non conform with the others...

ok its cool to run completely out of continuos .... but when the setup gets bigger and you play chords and you run like the man in video did two different Melodysequencers > it can come to the point that it sounds some time "disharmonic"

---so maybe different "Melody-Reset-2-Start" Options should be done like "Free Running" or "Reset all 8steps" "Reset all 16 DrumSteps" "Reset all 64 Drumsteps" and so on...

...cool idea anyway!

yes i know they would run nonconform...but thats the fun part i like...same like setting a pattern to odd numbers without resetting.

so what i mean is:

Say we have a sequence of 9 notes    ....  C1  D2  D3  D2   C4  C1  C5  F3  F4    and another pattern with 16 steps to trigger the first pattern steps as example (could be also odd) ...

like   X 0 0 X 0 0 0 X X 0 0 0 X 0 X 0 0 ...so the sequence will play   C1 0 0 D2 0 0 0 D3 D2 0 0 0 C4 0 C1 0 0 >next> C5 0 0 F3 0 0 0 F4 C1 0 0 0 D2 0 D3 0 0  ...and so on

would be really nice. :)

• 10 months later...

How about being able to not just step forwards, but also repeat, skip, step backwards, etc., using different trigger MIDI notes? Maybe use the velocity/length of triggers to change the velocity/length of the triggered notes. Endless possibilities for algorithmic nonsense!

Edited by niklasni1

• 9 months later...

would this still be possible to implement?  I would be over the moon with this feature..   one cool thing would we to do it like the way the Midipal does it..  ie, if you play middle C into the 'stepper' sequence it advances the sequence, but if you play any other note it would transpose the advancing sequence accordingly.    

It's implemented now, please try it out - works fine at my side! :)

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_092_pre9.zip

o new track mode configuration option: "STrg" (Step Trigger)
     In this mode, the step progression will be controlled from the transposer
     bus, hence it can either be triggered from a loopback track or from an 
     external MIDI device (MIDI keyboard, sequencer, etc.)
     Note that each track can be assigned to a dedicated transpose bus
     (4 busses are available), this allows to control 4 independent step progressions
     for all 16 tracks.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...