CV / Gate clarification help

twidl

Hi,

My name is Ruben (from holland) and i'm completely new to the forum. I've just finished my first midibox seq v4 with wilba's panel. So far it's all working. But I'd really like to use 8xCV and 8xGATE.

I have built my unit using te LPC17 and the AOUT_NG and as i understand it, i also need the DOUT for the gates.

questions:

1) is this the schematic i want for setting up the 8 gates? http://ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_doutx1.pdf

Or can i wire the gates somehow directly to the core board?

2) i also need some help under standing what i need to change in MBSEQ_HW.V4, could somebody tell me exactly what needs to be in the part copied under here, to get 8 cv' and 8 gates working?

the AOUT_NG page states the following: 

"First edit the config file on the SD Card to use the AOUT_NG (i.e. #define AOUT_INTERFACE_TYPE 3) and save it !"

But if there's a hashtag before define then the whole line is commented out right? so should i strip the #define? if so, then why is it there?

This is the CV part copied from the .V4 file, could someone help me?

Cheers,

Ruben

##################################################
# CV and Gate/Trigger/Sync Setup

# AOUT interface now selected in CV Configuration Menu and stored in MBSEQ_CV.V4 file
# please scroll through the menu to find this page!

# the 8 CV gates can be assigned to a shift register (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# - 1st CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D7
# - 2nd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D6
# - 3rd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D5
# - ...
# - 8th CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D0
CV_GATE_SR1   0

# and DIN Clock Outputs can be assigned to a shift register as well (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# D7..D0 will output individual clock or start/stop signals which can be configured in the CV configuration page
CLK_SR        0

# additional gate triggers are available on common digital output pins of the
# DOUT shift register chain - they are assigned to AOUT channel #16 (Note C-1, C#1, D-1, ...)
# define the shift registers which should be used here (each provides 8 gates)
# Note that SRs assigned to this function cannot be used as LED outputs (exclusive function)
# Allowed values: 1-32, 0 disables the function, all other values invalid and not allowed
DOUT_GATE_SR1   0
DOUT_GATE_SR2   0
DOUT_GATE_SR3   0
DOUT_GATE_SR4   0
DOUT_GATE_SR5   0
DOUT_GATE_SR6   0
DOUT_GATE_SR7   0
DOUT_GATE_SR8   0

# if set to 1, the DOUT "gates" will send 1mS pulses
# useful for analog drums
DOUT_1MS_TRIGGER 0

# should J5A/B/C outputs be enabled (0: no, 1: yes, 2: yes, but in open drain mode)?
#  - the 6 first AOUT gates will be forwarded to J5A/B
#  - the remaining last 2 AOUT gates are available at J5C.A10 and J5C.A11 (LPC17: J28.WS and J28.MCLK)
#  - DIN sync clock will be forwarded to J5C:A0 (LPC17: J28.SDA)
#  - DIN sync start/stop will be forwarded to J5C:A1 (LPC17: J28.SC)
#  - if open drain mode enabled (option 2), external pull-ups have to be connected to J5 pins
#    (advantage: pin levels can be pulled to 5V)
#
# NEVER USE THIS TOGETHER WITH ANALOG POTS - IT WILL CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT!
J5_ENABLED 1

Hi and welcome! There are two ways of getting gates: either using pins directly from the Core or (more recently) a DOUT chain. I think DOUT gates should work with the LPC17 core, I know TK implemented this for the STM32F4 core. Check here for setting up gates:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_hw.html

Here a MBSEQ_HW.V4 configuration example which works with the MBSEQ Frontpanel PCB:

# CV and Gate/Trigger/Sync Setup

# the 8 CV gates can be assigned to a shift register (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# - 1st CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D7
# - 2nd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D6
# - 3rd CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D5
# - ...
# - 8th CV Gate available at DOUT SR output D0
CV_GATE_SR1   3

# and DIN Clock Outputs can be assigned to a shift register as well (0=off, 1-32: number of shift register):
# D7..D0 will output individual clock or start/stop signals which can be configured in the CV configuration page
CLK_SR        4

# additional gate triggers are available on common digital output pins of the
# DOUT shift register chain - they are assigned to AOUT channel #16 (Note C-1, C#1, D-1, ...)
# define the shift registers which should be used here (each provides 8 gates)
# Note that SRs assigned to this function cannot be used as LED outputs (exclusive function)
# Allowed values: 1-32, 0 disables the function, all other values invalid and not allowed
DOUT_GATE_SR1   5
DOUT_GATE_SR2   6
DOUT_GATE_SR3   0
DOUT_GATE_SR4   0
DOUT_GATE_SR5   0
DOUT_GATE_SR6   0
DOUT_GATE_SR7   0
DOUT_GATE_SR8   0
The gates are available at the 3rd DOUT shift register, the clocks at the 4th DOUT shift register, and additional gates/drum triggers at the 5th and 7th DOUT shift registers. This works, since Wilba's Frontpanel PCB only uses two DOUT shift registers; a MBHP_DOUTX4 module connected to J2 of the PCB will represent DOUT number 3, 4, 5 and 6.
If more gates are required, just add another MBHP_DOUTX4 module and assign the number 7..10 to DOUT_GATE_SR3..6 accordingly.

Ethernet Interface

hello,

I think DOUT gates should work with the LPC17 core

Yes, I can confirm, I did it for my sequencer.

Using a Dout board is nice for trigger, you're not connected directly to the lpc core !!!

Another thing, the trigger voltage is bigger with a DOUT board(5v versus 3V for direct connection to the core)

best regards

Warpboy

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm afraid I need even more clarification...

I'd like first to use the gates / clock from the CORE (STM32). (I'll use a DOUT module if this isn't enough for my needs)

If I get it right, this is already enabled in MBSEQ_HW.V4.

I've connected a 1/4 jack to Gate1 + Ground from J5.

Now : How do I configure my track to actually use this gate 1? I have to use a CC track, right? Which output do I choose? (I only see Midi OUT, OSC1-4 and AOUT*(I don't have an AOUT module connected yet...)). Which value do I enter to actually trigger Gate1 on my steps?...

Yes, I'm THAT far from understanding the concept... ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Hello, you should configure your track as AOUT channel 1, this should send the gate. It would be great if TK could tweak the SW to allow all 16 channels to send their gates to the DOUT, I think with the BLM this will be really cool even if the corresponding CV is not sent.

Right... you want to use the GPIOs for gates.

Did you enable this in your hardware file?

# should J5A/B/C outputs be enabled (0: no, 1: yes, 2: yes, but in open drain mode)?
#  - the 6 first AOUT gates will be forwarded to J5A/B
#  - the remaining last 2 AOUT gates are available at J5C.A10 and J5C.A11 (LPC17: J28.WS and J28.MCLK)
#  - DIN sync clock will be forwarded to J5C:A0 (LPC17: J28.SDA)
#  - DIN sync start/stop will be forwarded to J5C:A1 (LPC17: J28.SC)
#  - if open drain mode enabled (option 2), external pull-ups have to be connected to J5 pins
#    (advantage: pin levels can be pulled to 5V)
#
# NEVER USE THIS TOGETHER WITH ANALOG POTS - IT WILL CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT!
J5_ENABLED 1

The idea I think is to move towards DOUT gates, I suppose the pin assignments from the Core remain as a legacy function.

P.S. Open-drain mode does not work (at least for STM32F1 and I think LPC 17), your gates will be 3-3.3 V and no protection is implemented for the Core. Take care how these are connected!

Edited by latigid on

The usage of the core based IO pins is dangerous, and therefore not recommended.

Either a buffer IC (like the 74HCT541) is required for level-shifting (and protection), or just use a DOUT shift register which is the recommended and documentation solution at this page: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_hw.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

OK, safety first, I'll use the DOUT module. I already have a DOUTX4 so it shouldn't be too hard.

One thing though : My sequencer is Wilba's design, so there is already a ribbon cable (J8 + J9) going to the control surface PCB. So I have to make a new cable to connect my DOUT module in series, right?

And what do I have to do about shift registers?... :unsure:

Thanks again...

Great!

I'm going to try that right away.

I finished the wiring, as you can see.

And you can have a good laugh at the sight of my unplugged AOUT module : I'm still not sure about how I want it powered... :rolleyes:

(it has been in there for 3 or 4 years!!!)

MBSEQ-DOUT.jpg

Edited by tupinamba