MB6582 single power supply

Walter_76

Hello all,

I am building my MB6582 and I would like to use a single regulated 12VDC wall adapter.

I already read different posts related to the MB6582 power supply options, but I am still in doubt...

Question: can I directly use the 12VDC rail for the SIDs (6582) and a switching regulator to derive the +5V rail?

I mean: any problem in terms of noise in referring both the rails to the same GND instead of superimposing the 9V to the 5V one?

Thank you!

Walter

Hiya!

I mean: any problem in terms of noise in referring both the rails to the same GND instead of superimposing the 9V to the 5V one?

No. Your main noise issues will probably come from the switching regulator which tend to be somewhat noisy (audible hiss and clicks). 

Cheerio

nILS

Walter, a couple of people already tried a switching regulator with good result. If you do a little search on the forum you should be able to find parts from Texas Instruments, Traco and Recom.

Offtopic: 

nILS, long time no see here on the forums. Welcome back! 

Edited by Shuriken

I think that what nILS may have referred to is one of the older, standard switching regulators. The new ones that are drop ins for 78/79xx stuff tend to work in the 100s of kHz up to a MHz or so. Those aren't noisy in any bad way. Texas, Traco and Recom make fine parts.

• 8 months later...