GrandMa2 Selfmade with Midibox?

Scyte

Hello, My idea is to build a Midibox NG with is only for the Buttons of the around the Faderpanel and the Programmerpanel. 124 Buttons around the Fader. 30x4 +4. And 75Buttons in the Programmerpanel. Additionaly i would like to use 4 Encoders. The program i would like to control accepts only midi notes. Every button and encoder cw/ccw should send midi notes. My idea is a stm32f4 Core (only j8/9, No SD), 1Din+1Dout for 2x 16x8(Fader,Programmer), and 1 Din for the Encoders. I that posible? Sorry for my bad english but i try my very best. Is that possible? Scyte

I googled grandma2 and I see it is some kind of stage lighting controller?

The buttons, encoders, and faders all generate midi messages? Then NG is highly suitable.

Encoders use DIN, that's 2 pins per encoder.

A large number of pushbuttons can be connected with a DIO_MATRIX module (it combines DOUT and DIN functionality on a single PCB up to 16x16 each module, I think).

For faders (potentiometers) you'll need analog inputs AINSER64 can handle 64 inputs each module. 

Naturally, a lot of reading at uCApps is required, it sounds like a large project! 

edit: You will have to have an SD card attached to the core because this is how you configure NG. (i.e. the defalult.ngc on the card determines how your MIDIBox NG functions)

Edited by Duggle

OK, Thanks for your reply. the Midibox should only handle the Buttons/Encoder, the faders will work over DMX/Artnet-In. Yes my idea is to use a 16x16Button Matrix (Din/Dout) or 8xDIN for max 256 Inputs. No AnalogIN because i do not need Fader. The config file should be as easy as possible: Pseudocode: 16x8 Matrix Midichannel 2 Note 0-127 (Flash) Buttons only 16x8 Matrix Midichannel 3 Note 0-127 (Flash) (incl. 4 encoders which send differed notes on/off for CW and ccw) Seems that possible? I have another question: I have a STM32f4-discovery here. is it possible to remove the mios bootloader to use the board for something other and flash it back later? Because a this moment it is an 8xArtnetnode. 3rd and last question: what is the lowst build of a midibox NG? Is it possible only with SD and j8/9? Thank you Scyte

It seems that all the i/o is DIN, so yes j8/9 plus SD card.

I seem to recall an example of generating notes with an encoder but you'll need to verify that yourself to be absolutely sure (search the forums etc.) or someone will chime in....

Flashing a bootloader is never permanent (ie occasionally the bootloader version is increased) I don't own an f4 yet, but would assume it's an easy operation. 

hi there is a Post on the NG forum  about some one that allready copied the GrandMa2.

that one look realy Awesome!!!! and if i readed it correct its not that easy to just connect a Midi controller to MA software.

if i recall it correct he used a other software that like cracked the MA software in somekind of way.

i tried/lookt it with Avolight but it uses custom Midi command and Most of all the button/faders did not have a midi command.

I only use Buttons over Midi because the Software only understand Midinotes, no cc etc. I dont have to crack the Software :). The only thing with will no that easy is the work of the encoders, but there i will trigger Macros in the software. Again with Midi Notes.

Do you habe a link to the GMA2 Thread?

hello, maybe I can help,
I'm doing the exact same thing.
I used a core LPC17, 8 DIN, 2 MF_NG.
encoders to simplify, I utilizato of Ic decoders, then I send you some pictures,
for the moment, I'm working on motorfader.

as soon as I have any news, I'll let you know.

bye  :rolleyes:  :rofl:  :rolleyes:  :rofl:  :rolleyes:  :rofl:
Edited by marco@mp

Hello,
I, already know ma4pc.
I preferred DIN 8 for a simple reason, if you were to damage an IC lose only 8 bits, and 8x8.
ilmio project is a GMA2. as commands from a PC HW is OK,
I miss the feedback of the motor faders and LEDs.
I just solved these two little things, the whole place.

bye bye