Fatar 61 key keybed controller question:

kyleivanblake

I have a working Fatar 61 key keybed that I would like to build into a controller.

I was working with Arduino Teensy 3.1 and then I heard about MidiBox.

I am trying to figure out exactly what I need to purchase to put this together.

Can anyone point me towards a current thread that details what I will need?

I'm having a hard time understanding what is what with MidiBox as there are so many generations and versions of things, and so many different types of projects...

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Regards,

-Kyle

You need a core (LPC17 or STM32F4) and a DIO_Matrix-Module. That's it.

You even don't need an adapter... I connected a bunch of 61key fatar keybeds directly to the DIO without any adapter.

I already converted the MicroMatch to a 2x8 in 1.27 pitch, I think it is the same connector the DIO_Matrix-Module takes from what I can tell... 

The fact that DIO_Matrix can accept two keybeds excites me as I am considering using 2 of my 3 keybeds for a dual manual organ style setup.  Does anyone know of a source for drawbars?

Come on.... 

Please read through ucapps.de at first... it's everything there (also component lists / orderlists)

You need a core... it doesn't matter which one. The STM32F4 is newer and the "actual" one... so if you want to be sure to have the new firmwares running on the core, use the STM32F4. It's cheaper and "faster" also.

You get the pcbs at Tims shop:

http://midiboxshop.bigcartel.com/

You need to solder them by yourself... there are no prebuild-pcbs available. If you are looking for that kind of stuff, take the doepfer-electronics.

Come on.... 

Please read through ucapps.de at first... it's everything there (also component lists / orderlists)

You need a core... it doesn't matter which one. The STM32F4 is newer and the "actual" one... so if you want to be sure to have the new firmwares running on the core, use the STM32F4. It's cheaper and "faster" also.

You get the pcbs at Tims shop:

http://midiboxshop.bigcartel.com/

You need to solder them by yourself... there are no prebuild-pcbs available. If you are looking for that kind of stuff, take the doepfer-electronics.

What do you mean, "the "actual" one"?

• 2 years later...

I build midi kb / midi ng with stm32f4 basecore + diomatrix and keybed pcb midibox_kb_scanmatrix_novel_type1 file: /// C: /Users/Administrator/Downloads/midibox_kb_scanmatrix_type1.pdf but the path from the socket pin 16 header is just c1, c # 1, d1, d # 1, e1, f1, f # 1, g1 mios bootloader with the latest firmware then input midi kb program through mios studio but in mios nonitor which read each one octave, what to do following my file include

midibox_kb_fatar_df_61_interconnections.pdf

midibox_kb_scanmatrix_type1 (1).pdf

thanks for all the answers, sorry i already have stm32f4 + diomatrix running fine, then keybed 61 key pcb but to connect from stm32f4 module core ,how wiring 16 pin cable conctions? following schema i already make circuitboard is this correct and what should be in edit?

61K (1) (1).pdf

61K (1).pdf

Edited by tedysuwarnady

I hear MIDIBox_NG is 10x slower in scanning the keyboard matrix than MIDIBox_KB.

Is this ONLY due to the amount input scanning? If I upload MIDIBox_NG and edit the configuration file so that only 2 in/out shift registers are used, will it match the speed of MIDIBox_KB?

I want to build a controller w/ 61-key Fatar keyboard (I've already built it and it works - mostly; more on that later) but I also want to use only a couple of buttons and LEDs (octave up/down keys with indicators etc) in addition to the keyboard. If I chain another DIO_MATRIX module and build a second matrix for LEDs/buttons, then configure MIDIBox_NG to use only 4 in/out shift registers will I achieve something between the performance of MIDIBox_KB and MIDIBox_NG? I don't want to add a second CORE_STM32F4 module just for a couple of buttons and LEDs, but I am not feeling great with the ~3ms scan time of MIDIBox_NG (I also didn't like the quantization in velocity values; 50-1000 "delay value" is a much more detailed range than 5-100, the latter isn't enough, not even for the full 8-bit range of 128 values that MIDI supports (at least not without using velocity mapping - unless I am doing something wrong)

EDIT: read some of the .NCG configuration examples of the documentation, the answer is right there:

# reduce number of SRs for faster scan
# with 2 SRs the scan takes ca. 500 uS instead of 2.5 mS
SRIO num_sr=2

however, delay values are still in the same range, although I'm now able to get less "stepped" velocity values

Edited by ytsestef

My tests with NG vs KB had the result that no matter what I change in the official NG-app, I'll never get those fine velocity steps, that KB gives. So I created my own NG app and kicked out all of the functions, I do not need. There is a thread about it in this forum. Just use the search engine and you'll find it quick. 

Anyway: I still feel, that KB outputs more velocity values as my NG does still. So I think it depends on your needs. 

Btw: please be aware, that there is no octave shift function (regarding if NG or KB) yet 

Thanks for the info! I'm just getting started on the project, still learning the NG platform. There is a transpose parameter in EVENT_KB event, so I thought it would be possible in some way, with all the scripting capabilities of the software and whatnot:

kb_transpose=<-128..127>

Anyway, I could always just send a MIDI CC with the octave shift buttons and let the host software do the transpose.

• 3 months later...
On 12.12.2017 at 7:26 PM, FantomXR said:

My tests with NG vs KB had the result that no matter what I change in the official NG-app, I'll never get those fine velocity steps, that KB gives. So I created my own NG app and kicked out all of the functions, I do not need. There is a thread about it in this forum. Just use the search engine and you'll find it quick. 

Anyway: I still feel, that KB outputs more velocity values as my NG does still. So I think it depends on your needs. 

Btw: please be aware, that there is no octave shift function (regarding if NG or KB) yet 

Hi @FantomXR

since i couldn't find the mentioned thread, could you please post a link or thread title?

I'm currently deciding between NG vs KB for a masterkeyboard project. It looks like you can't have buttons and displays with KB, so i'm intrested in a fast(er) scanning NG version.

Thank you very much!