Oscilloscope - Which One Should I Buy?

Rowan

I'm thinking about buying an oscilloscope and have absolutely no ideal where to start.

I've got a budget of upto £300/€400.

I'm looking for something that will last me a long time and I won't feel the need to replace in a few years time. Im happy to buy a secondhand scope as I'm sure I'll get more bang for my buck.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to models I should be looking at and key features?

What do you intend to do with it?

For anything to do with analog signals in the audio domain, these good old 10-50MHz scopes from ebay are sufficient. If you want to check timings on microprocessor level (e.g. debugging a display connection), you should invest in a digital scope, that has a higher bandwidth, otherwise you won't be able to see what is going on. Going for 2 channels is recommended in any case, so you can put probes on different parts of the circuit and see what is going on :).

Personally, for me, I invested ~40€ a few years back and got a retro Hameg HM-203 two-channel 20 MHz tube scope :). It looks cool and already helped in a few situations. But of course, it is not modern and might fail at some point in time. Then, on the other hand, I don't need higher bandwidth yet, and the investment was rather small :-).

Have a great day!

Peter

I've just had all the parts for a Yocto 808 delivered and calibrating it requires a scope, so for the time being I only need to work in the analogue domain.

Maybe I should save my pennies and get a old secondhand scope off eBay.

What features besides at least two channels should I look for?

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I should save my pennies and get a old secondhand scope off eBay.

No. Some purists will swear by analog scopes for this and that reason but if you want something that you can use daily for everything, a modern DSO cant be beat. Mine has a dozen different measurements it can display (p-p voltages, frequency, DC offset etc) and having those outweighs any benefit an old analog one might have. I have a cheapo Owon and that thing got used more in one week than the big giant relic I bought used to date.

No. Some purists will swear by analog scopes for this and that reason but if you want something that you can use daily for everything, a modern DSO cant be beat. Mine has a dozen different measurements it can display (p-p voltages, frequency, DC offset etc) and having those outweighs any benefit an old analog one might have. I have a cheapo Owon and that thing got used more in one week than the big giant relic I bought used to date.

Altitude, I respect your option. So your input is welcome.

The Rigol DS1054z is looking like a contender, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Rowan

I use a Picotech Pico Scope 2208 at work. It's a 2 channel usb scope. Software runs nicely on my shitty Laptop.

You can easily set Trigger points, range, Samplerate etc in Software.

A big plus is the ability to make and store screenshots or save the whole measured dataset.

It can also be used as logic analyzer for e.g. i2c.

The one i use was about 700€, but the lowest Bandwith version (10Mhz) can be had for 129€.

Since this is my only experience with usb scopes so far, i can't say how they compare, but I'd definitely buy one, if i needed to.

The Rigol DS1054Z looks nice and the price level is the same as the DS1052E a couple of years ago. I would go for that one if i were you. If money is an issue, the Owon SDS5032E is like a 100 euro cheaper.

Personally i wouldn't buy a scope which requires a PC. You are totally dependant on the whim of the manufacturer. If they decide to stop supporting the scope you are stuck with a very expensive brick.

Edited by Shuriken

You are totally dependant on the whim of the manufacturer. If they decide to stop supporting the scope you are stuck with a very expensive brick.

I agree that these dependencies are a problem, but it's rather a nuisance than a showstopper to me.

By the time they stop supporting new OS/Hardware, you can probably get some old stuff for free.

• 4 weeks later...

A good DSO will change the way you work and debug.  Get real familiar on how to add various functions to the displays (duty cycle, DC offset, peak to peak, etc),  I find those functions as usefull as displaying the wave form,  Also one of these came in real handy for the TTSH: http://erthenvar.com/store/audio-cables/3.5mm-to-bnc/3.5mm-to-bnc-100