Which encoders should I buy for SEQ V4 build?

fundamental

I'm trying to figure out which encoders with pushbutton switch to get for my MIDIbox SEQ V4 build.  I have the CS PCB now from SmashTV and ready to populate it.  I've been going through several threads but I'm finding it hard to identify a known good current part available here.  I'm in USA.  If someone can post any known good current part numbers that are working for them and they like, please let me know.

Thanks!

John

The big advantage of push-button encoders is the option to use the "push-to-accelerate" feature, which is awesome on the SEQ. So, the Bourns encoders have my vote, if there are recent positive reports about them (some time in the past, a few people reported problems, but hopefully, it was just a temporary quality issue).

Many greets,

Peter

Guys, thank you for the quick helpful replies!  That's exactly what I was looking for because I wasn't sure about the Bourns after those reports others had posted.

I would probably go with the Bourns, but looks like the Bourns PEC16-4220F-S0024 are on backorder at Mouser and Digikey, so I'll probably go for the non-pushbutton Alpha 318-ENC160F-24P for now.

Also, Peter, thanks for the great photo tutorial, I have been using that pretty heavily as well.  I was interested in the ALPS encoders you link to in that tutorial:

http://www.reichelt.de/Rotary-Pulse-Encoder/STEC12E08/3//index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=3714&ARTICLE=73923&SHOW=1&OFFSET=16

But I couldn't find that encoder here in US.

Thanks,

John

You're welcome! The alps encoders require a bit of pin-bending, and it is some work to do, that's why I did not recommend them anymore... the Alphas won't fail you, i've got them in my MB6582 since 2010 and they are the best encoders, I've ever had in any synth. Also, the alps did not fail me in the MBSEQ, but if they are hard to get... stay with Bourns or Alpha :). If any encoder does not work right at first, experiment with the DETENTED settings in the config file, you'll get them working...

Many greets and have fun!

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter I found this one:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20056A

they dont have info but checking alps site I found that should be EC11 series what i note that are different are the detented number and pulses this ones should have something around 30 detented and 15 pulses.

http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Encoder/Incremental/EC11/EC11_list.html

the pin out looks like fit the pcb anyone havs use it? Or one to confirm the compatibility. 

Trying to finish my seqv4  and dont have to much money and the fuc.... Mexican peso worth nothing so im in the quest to put it together 

thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

Hi,
i take the bourns pec16-4220f-N0024 for my last seq and they loose or pass some steps (approximatly each 10 step)....there are not precise! don't like the feeling too...
got the same model on the datawheel with switch it's the same...
my first seq is equiped with alps stec12 from reichelt and there are great... precise and good feeling , you feel each step...but look cheap construction!
don't have experience with alpha's

Edited by tashikoma

Thanks for the feedback :)

Note, that the Alps STEC  encoders need "DETENTED1" mode in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 config file, as they have a different pinout, but somehow work fine using that decoding mode. Other than that, mine still work flawlessly after about 5 years of heavy use, not a single one has failed, or feels wobbly, you still feel the steps, so they are still highly recommended. :)

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Yes i see that info on your great topic (seq construction)
i will change the BOURNS for the ALPS after christmas... it's not acceptable:angry:
ALPS need pin bending they doesn't really fit... but i love the feeling....

Bourns fit perfectly and and are recommended in Wilba CS / MB 6582 pages....

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

the Alps STEC  encoders need "DETENTED1" mode in the MBSEQV4.HW config file, as they have a different pinout, but somehow work fine using that decoding mode.

it's surprising that it's works with different pinout :cheers:
the logic will be to invert two pin and use detented 3...  don't know if i will go like you or like the logic!:doubt:
my first seq was not Wilba cs but perfboard so i use it in "normal" pinning

but the Bourns in non detented are great for MB-SID.

they're was an old tip for yamaha sampler Ax000 to have condensator A-pin to ground and another condensator B-pin to ground..... seems to force the pulse of tired encoders

Edited by tashikoma

• 1 month later...

Hi Mongrol
yes completly possible!

from the config file of seq:

#              SR  Pin  Type
ENC_DATAWHEEL   6   2   DETENTED3

# the speed value for the datawheel which is used when the "FAST" button is activated:
ENC_DATAWHEEL_FAST_SPEED 3

#        SR  Pin  Type
ENC_GP1   1   6   DETENTED3
ENC_GP2   1   4   DETENTED3
ENC_GP3   1   2   DETENTED3
ENC_GP4   1   0   DETENTED3
ENC_GP5   3   6   DETENTED3
ENC_GP6   3   4   DETENTED3
ENC_GP7   3   2   DETENTED3
ENC_GP8   3   0   DETENTED3
ENC_GP9   4   6   DETENTED3
ENC_GP10  4   4   DETENTED3
ENC_GP11  4   2   DETENTED3
ENC_GP12  4   0   DETENTED3
ENC_GP13  5   6   DETENTED3
ENC_GP14  5   4   DETENTED3
ENC_GP15  5   2   DETENTED3
ENC_GP16  5   0   DETENTED3

As you see you could specify for each encoder the detented type , Bourns and ALPS are detented 3.

i don't like bourns (they loose step) but they fit PCB perfectly!

ALPS doesn't really fit!!! i have change Bourns to ALPS 2 weeks ago ... sorry i forgot take pictures... switch of datawheel assigned to LOOP ON/OFF... nice

Needs swap legs and surface mount , they have knurled short shaft! they needs more work and adjusting!:fear:

the ALPS with switch need to be surface mounted with 2mm space between the back of encoder and the  pcb ( perhaps use 8mm spacer between PCB and frontpanel than 10mm spacer could help but this mean solder ICs directly and button caps will have extra 2mm on the front!)

Have no experience with SOUNDWELL or ALPHA but they fits!

ALPS are available from REICHELT

Edited by tashikoma

Actually, I'm doomed again. The Bourns I was looking at was 12mm and they don't do a 16mm with knurled. The datawheel's I've found are clones of the CLiff knob made by RS Pro, so they are readily available and come in a 2 weights. Would be nice to find a standard was to use these as obtaining the Alps datawheel is a big problem with builds.