Cheap SSD1306 display

Lorcan

Nice find! But it seems, it might only offer an I2C interface, not 4-wire SPI, which is necessary for the current MIDIbox SSD1306 driver :-).

I did not research thorougly... maybe it is possible to attach it nevertheless, but the schem on the website says there are only VDD, GND, SCL and SDA pins, which is I2C...

Many greets,

Peter

You're right I missed this point.

According to this and this https://github.com/OLIMEX/MOD-OLED-128x64/blob/master/HARDWARE/MOD-OLED-128x64.pdf and this https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-OLED-128x64/resources/ER-OLED0.96-2_Manual.pdf the PCB is wired to configure the chip as I2C

But changing I2C to SPI mode only requires to change one connection (pin BS1) from high to low, so I guess just a little soldering + wire would do the trick

Well, this works only, if all pins and connection points (more data lines are necessary) are available in "wide" pitch on the breakout PCB. Soldering to that multipin plastic flat display wire is next to impossible.. i tried to fix a broken SSD1306 a time ago, no go for mere mortals. If you have Jeri Ellsworth powers, on the other hand, forget what I just said! ;-)

Rowan, have you tried them? Again, these seem to have only 6 pins easily solderable, but we need 7 for the 4-wire serial protocol:

http://ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_lcd_ssd1306_single_mios32.pdf

Here, the CS (display) /D0 (MIDIbox core) line seems missing (they might only support 3-wire spi).

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

I haven't tried those displays but I have has 6 pin SSD1306 SPI displays working with MIOS.

Attached is a couple of pictures of a known working 6 pin display. It's not wire up in the photo but I have had this very display working with the MBNG app on a STM32F4 core.

post-3551-0-50429400-1436297932_thumb.jp

post-3551-0-87895500-1436297946_thumb.jp

Rowan, thanks for the confirmation, and sorry for being picky today (too hot here :-)), but the SSD above has all 4 lines necessary for 4-wire SPI named (DC, CS, MOSI, CLK) on the PCB.

Methinks, it has a proper startup reset mechanism onboard and thus does not need the 7th (Reset) line.

The display in the ebay link on the other hand has the "RST" line on one of the six pins and thus might be missing one of the four serial lines.

Many greets and have a great evening,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye