"Global" Groove?

oozitron

I've been using my sequencer (V4) since I got it running in March 2015, and I LOVE IT :smile:

I'm of course still learning the features, and finding how to best adjust my ways of working to fit with it.  Most of the time I'm operating in Pattern mode, generally using each Group to control a separate "instrument", such as percussion, or basslines, etc.

Would it be possible to have a "Groove" setting that would affect all Tracks all the time, regardless of their Track Groove setting?

I like the ability to change the Intensity of the Groove for all 16 tracks that are running, but as soon as I change one pattern Group (I normally use Pattern mode)  it doesn't have the same setting as the others.

If there was a "Global Groove" (along with the ability to turn Global Groove ON or OFF), you could change patterns and never worry that you'd get a non-Shuffled pattern running with Shuffled patterns.

I like to mix & match patterns when I play, basically treating my four Groups like four X0X boxes.  Having one "Shuffle" setting to control everything would be really handy!

Does that make sense?

Drew

Woo Hoo   :rofl:

Even if it was just the "Intensity" parameter, that would be enough.

What I've been doing is setting all my tracks to "Shuffle" and Intensity=0.  Then while playing I increase the Intensity (for All Tracks).  But of course then I change a Pattern and things get messy.

Sometimes I hear tracks (probably all sampled loops by lazy "DJ-Producer" types) where some parts are Shuffled and other aren't and it makes my head hurt...  almost as bad as guitar players who can't tune their strings...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Seq4 

Thanks Thorston  :smile:

Hi Guys,

what do do you guys think about  assigning a unique groove on a per track basis (already how it works now) and enable global groove per track.

You just select if a track should be assigned to the global groove.

Like this every track has his own and shared groove.  Very much how the groove mixer in Reason 5 worked,

I think this is more effective than shuffeling all tracks

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this last night, and I noticed what may be an issue.

When the the "Global" field is selected causing it to blink the contents of the righthand display also blinks. This doesn't happen when any of the other fields are selected on the lefthand display.

Might I suggest the possibility to shuffle the MIDI / DIN Sync clock that is being output, too? This is a feature that is getting more and more popular on the new breed of "Sync-Box-Modules" à la Innerclock Systems Sync Lock. Imagine you run an 808 slaved to the Seq via Sync24. Normally, the 808 doesn't have shuffle, but, if one were to shuffle the clock the same as the internal tracks, it would follow the groove perfectly. There is a lot more old-school drum machines that don't feature shuffle (Casio RZ-1 eg). For live jams, it would also be extremely convenient to make sure everythng follows the same groove, as you you could resort to creating all your patterns without shuffle on your synced machines.

Sometimes I hear tracks (probably all sampled loops by lazy "DJ-Producer" types) where some parts are Shuffled and other aren't and it makes my head hurt...  almost as bad as guitar players who can't tune their strings...

Personnally I only partly agree, I think it can sound great to have some shuffled tracks running against straight ones, for example on hats, or the bass line. it gets tricky if you overlay sampled audio loops from different records that all have differing amounts of shuffle, though. I hate having to insert warp markers in a clip in Ableton on almost every distinguishable 16th note, in the end I think it pretty much kills the original groove, which is why you sampled something in the first place. So I stopped doing that kinda stuff pretty much and use hardware samplers, you just adjust by ear, end up doing simpler stuff, which is often more effective!

Edited by u-link