Sauraen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Umm... so let's just say that maybe it wasn't the wisest choice to use a song from a game owned by Disney as a demo. The video will not be put back up. However it's sort of for the best, as I've significantly improved the software since then, I hope to have a new video up with "flawless" playback in the next week.

OOOOH, yes DRM raises its head :) At any rate, streaming VGM is very impressive! Can't wait to see the improved version.

Yogi

PS is there any word from SmashTV on the boards (or is that left to him)? Been checking his site daily

Edited by yogi
PS added

Although... being that it was your arrangement (or was it?) of the composition and not the original recording... that should be legal I would think.   I don't want to hijack the thread on this tangent, but that's some BS, IMHO.  Maybe because it's possible to make money from a YouTube account they don't allow it.  So weird and hard core.  Makes no sense.  Considering I'm someone who makes a portion of my income from performance royalties... if someone did an arrangement of one of my tunes [oh, as if] and put it on YouTube, I'd have no issue.  If someone else posted an actual recording I had released...well, then my eyebrow muscles could get some exercise.

Anyway... looking forward to your next video!

9 hours ago, Blatboy said:

Although... being that it was your arrangement (or was it?) of the composition and not the original recording...

Don't really want to get into this, but no, it was not my arrangement, it was a verbatim playback of the VGM file of "A Whole New World" from Aladdin on Sega Genesis / Mega Drive. (Well, verbatim, except with timing issues.) I knew there might be an issue, but for two reasons I decided to put it up: (1) I wasn't the first person to upload a copy of that song, and (2) I didn't think Youtube's Content ID system would be smart enough to match a Genesis tune against its original. But I was wrong. No issue for my account, just Disney got to put ads on the video, so I deleted it.

As promised, a video of VGM playback on a MBHP_Genesis module!

There is still one issue with the frequency correction, which occasionally leads to wrong notes in certain VGM files, but I understand what the issue is and will fix it when I get a chance. Also, there's an inherent incompatibilty between the noise channel in the SN76489 and the one in the SN76489-clone used in the actual Mega Drive / Genesis (shift register length and therefore pitch, and also what happens with zero frequency). I may be able to have the software correct for it in certain cases, but it's not a huge deal overall.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for my quietness recently, I've been spending basically all my free time on this synth, and I haven't gotten a chance to do much documentation. The hardware is due in less than a week, so I've been under a lot of pressure!

Here is the front panel PCB with all 600+ LEDs on. (Actually, they're not quite all on, due to another part of the software I forgot to disable while running this test--but the other red and green LEDs in the central matrix do work).mkEn75y.jpg

Edited by Sauraen
  • Like 4