"Upgraded" forum complaints/suggestions

latigid on

It's been a little while since the forum upgrade and there are still issues. Hopefully they can be collated here for fixing. We're appreciative of this great place but it can be made better!

1. Encoding support. Most characters with diacritics are complete gobbledegook, especially noticeable in the Greek/Russian forums.
  2. Formats. The gallery images are dated using the American system (MMDDYY) but enhanced quoted posts are in German. Is it just me?
  3. There's a problem with some gallery images displaying a black screen.
  4. Status updates are better if one person overwrites their old one, I have three at the moment, one being a spelling error fix.
  5. Do we really need line spacing in posts?
  6. Lack of smilies, old ones are not parsed correctly.

Any others?

Many thanks,

8. When receiving PMs, it also automatically triggers a notification. This is not useful, because I already get the red mark next to the messages symbol.To get rid of the red notifiaction mark, I need to have a look at the notifications, although I already know that there is a message waiting for me... Unfortunately, the "administrator has disabled this option from being toggled" in the notification settings.

9. I am missing the "go to first unread entry" button that used to be located in the upper right corner of the topic panel. This was the single most used feature for me when checking the forum, and I'd really like to get this back if possible.

Edited by ilmenator
finished the sentence properly...

Concerning the character issue: this is a known migration issue, and we can't fix it.
Actually Twin-X asked me if it's ok for me to bring the forum back online without solving this issue - I agreed because I had no better idea.

We can edit the subjects and manually correct the characters this way - just need help from people who can give us a template ;)

To the other issues: I need your help to find out, how to configure this, resp. how to fix this

The IPS Support forum is here, maybe you will find the answers? I will change on demand, but I've no time to search for solutions:

-> https://community.invisionpower.com

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Edited by TK.

• 2 weeks later...

To respond:

1. The encoding problem is a conversion problem. As Thorsten said probably not fixable.
  2. I am afraid it's also a conversion e.g. timezone problem.
  3. Might be just the active old ones, hence new ones are correctly displayed. I checked my album from 2009 and it looks ok.
  4. Not sure, might be a conversion problem as well.
  5. I cant find any settings on this. Might be just a new feature of the new version of the board software.
  6. The emoticon problem was fixed. I added the old ones. But it looks like in old post its still not parsed.
  7. Not sure.
  8. This should be fixed.
  9. I can't find anything setting on this. Maybe this setting was removed in the new version of the board software..
  10. Oh come on there is only 9 challenges :wink:
Edited by Shuriken

The Gallery behaves very strange for me both in Chrome and Firefox

Thumbnails don't show, and the images don't show when you click on them

Also the Members Gallery comes up in reverse order?

I performed a rebuild of the images in the Gallery yesterday. So hopefully the thumbs are better now. Still looking into the sorting order. The setting in the AdminCP is set to "Most Recent" but it still shows as "By Album Title" and in reverse order (Z->A).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 13/9/2015 at 8:35 AM, latigid on said:

It's been a little while since the forum upgrade and there are still issues. Hopefully they can be collated here for fixing. We're appreciative of this great place but it can be made better!

1. There's a problem with some gallery images displaying a black screen

At my side there is the same problem.

Sorry if I opened a tread about this issue after this one after LatigidOn

Best regards

Antix

Yes, there are still some forum software bugs present, methinks.

Antix:

Regarding the old image gallery problem. This is really bad...

First, I've examined the HTML source below the lightbox settings. The thing is, that the image is present, it just is not handled correctly by the IPB forum browser. By tweaking a few HTML attributes, it is possible to display the image (not when clicking on the lightbox link). It just thinks it has a picture size of 0x0px, and therefore hides the image. So, the IPB gallery image database is kind of broken (probably happened during one of the last updates).

To remedy this problem, I've googled a bit for other people with the same symptoms. The common recommendation here is to perform a "gallery rebuild" in the admin panel (ACP > Community > Gallery > Settings > blue link "rebuild existing images") , which I've tried twice. The problem is, that it crashes reproducably after about 25% of the images are processed. What is even worse, is that it takes up more and more diskspace after each run, so this is not recommended.

So, my recommendation is, to report this issue to the makers of IPB (TK. paid for the license from the community donations) and hope for a bugfix for the image rebuilding.

Latigid on:

that is really a strange bug, too! Which browser are you using? It is not shifted here, running a new Firefox build... Can you try a different browser and report back?

Many greets,

Peter

Latigid on: maybe I've found, what causes the problem on your side... the third icon from the left after the first horizontal spacer truly is the "code" icon.

Best guess: your images are cached and outdated and should be reloaded. Can you clear your browser (image) cache or Shift-Reload the page?

The problem should definitely go away if you install a new browser to test (e.g. Chrome, if you don't run that already, or Firefox if you run Chrome :-)).

Many greets,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I've been gone from here a long time (checked in periodically over the years though). I try to look at things in the gallery and still have issues, apologies if you are aware of this still. many things come up blank in thumbnail or show in thumbnail and are blank when enlarged.

But overall Great work on the new forum!

1 hour ago, arumblack said:

I've been gone from here a long time (checked in periodically over the years though). I try to look at things in the gallery and still have issues, apologies if you are aware of this still. many things come up blank in thumbnail or show in thumbnail and are blank when enlarged.

But overall Great work on the new forum!

Yes we are aware. The only way we found so far is that an Admin; Edit the Image and saves it. If you can point out what gallery you were trying to view, i can try and fix it for you.