VU Level Meter Improvement

needmoresleep

Hello

I’m trying to find out how best to get high resolution, fast updates for VU level meters over MIDI.

I’m building a control surface to interface with apple logic pro x, and currently using the Mackie Control plugin. The updates over MIDI seem slow and low resolution compared to what is displayed on the laptop.

Can anyone give advice please? Thanks.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Some years ago I used an Reaktor plugin for this purpose - it has a VU meter which I modified so that it sends a CC on LED updates.
See also this video where I used this component: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpwpAHuDvQ

Just add the plugin into the FX chain and define dedicated CCs for each channel strip - done :)

If you don't own Reaktor, but if you are experienced in plugin programming, you could program something similar by yourself (this is a DIY forum... ;-)

Best Regard, Thorsten.

Thanks Thorsten. Love that video!

Unfortunately I don't own Reaktor, or am capable of writing plugins :(

I was hoping for a solution using what's included with logic pro x. I use the 'Mackie Control' surface plugin, and I update VU using the MIDI Channel Aftertouch "0xD0" message.

Are there any other messages that I'm missing, maybe SysEx? Maybe my logic pro x config could be adapted to output the extra detail?