MB 808 Seq, increasing notelength

jamie

Hi, i already finished assembling my MB9090 (MB 808 Seq + 9090 Drum).

So now, everything works fine excepting one thing: The notelenghts of the MB 808 Seq

are to short for some sounds. For example the open hihats sounds cut of.

If i trigger the open hihat in Live-modus and press the button as long as necessary

the hitat will be played till end.

Is it possibile to modify the programm, so that the outgoing midinotes get more length?

jamie

The MB808 firmware doesn't allow to configure the gate length of analog triggers, the pulse length is 1 mS for all outputs, and it won't be so easy to change with the existing code basis.

I'm surprised that we haven't noticed this issue with the 808 modules, could it be that monoflops are missing for the drums which need to be played over long time?

E.g. I found this blog via google: http://niroke.blogspot.de/2015/04/trigger-in-mod-for-tr-9090.html

Are you using such a mod, or how did you connect the triggers?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The MB808 and the 9090 Drum are just conected via midi (built an intern switch, so i can change to "local off" when i use this box with an DAW, or "local on" when i use it in standalone)

So it's not the gatelength of the analog trigger, its more about the notelength of the midiout. It would be cool if there is a way  to increase the distance between note on and note off (a little bit more legato on the 

open hihat, cymbal and ride section;-) Maybe adjusting this is not such as difficult?

the more i think about it, the more I'm not shure if this problem could be solved on the midibox, maybe i have to ask Trevor Page if this can be fixed in the midisection on this 9090 drum board. Since this "issue" is related to the sample sounds.

I think these samples should be played as one shot if they are triggered.( except the open hat, since it depends on the closed hat.)

Anyway i hope there's a solution.

Best Regards, Jamie

All that legato/sustain/note stretch features have been removed from the firmware (which is originated from MBSEQ V3) and no memory has been reserved to store such a parameter, therefore I don't see a way to consider your request.

So, if you find a different solution (e.g. firmware change in 9090) it would be better.

However, if you've luck following MB808 firmware change could already help:

in src/seq_layer.inc, search for SEQ_LAYER_GetEvntL, it's currently:

SEQ_LAYER_GetEvntL
        movlw   0x10                    ; fixed length
        movwf   SEQ_EVNTL, BANKED

If you change it to:

SEQ_LAYER_GetEvntL
        movlw   23                    ; fixed length
        movwf   SEQ_EVNTL, BANKED

the note length should be almost 1/16th

Higher values could result into legato, but I haven't tested this...

Btw.: which firmware version are you using?
V1.4 got some new features, e.g. a HH control switch for 909: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsequencers%2Fmidibox_808%2FCHANGELOG.txt

But I noticed that I haven't officially released it yet; the mios_download page still shows v1.3

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you for this hint. Changing the value in SEQ_LAYER_GetEvntL seemt to be a helping solution. I'll try this. 

In the meantime i also try get some solution in changing firmware on the 9090

Feedback is following.

I'm using version 1.3a

Best Regards, jamie

• 1 month later...

Hi Thorsten,

just for info, if you're interested.

I'm glad to say that i fixed the problem. It's in the firmware of the 9090. I tried to contact Trevor for some hints, but there was no answer to the mail i sent.

But i think the mail adress i used is not actual.

So i studied the TR 909 Service manual and the schematics of Trevors 9090 Drum for a long time. I figured out that the different is in the velocity signal.

In the TR 909 the signal appears until a new value is set, in Trevors 9090 Drum this signal appears until a noteoff signal is received. Trevor is using some kind of Multiplexing in the velocity section.

So, i was glad that i found som .asm file of his firmware in the internet. As i don't now something about programming, i was very supriesed that i found the item in this file that sets the velocity when noteoff is received. Not knowing what i'm really doing, i erased the items for the cymbal, ride and hihats sounds.

Then i created a new hex-file, burned it to the pic. And: IT WORKS:-))))