DIY Hammond J-412 to MIDI controller

Wgng85

Hi there,

I own one of these: http://www.hammondclub.nl/db/upload/cache/image_resized/539x422/J_412_1972_OK.jpg. I bought it for $40 years ago and it's not valuable by any means. I use it right now as a conversation piece/bookshelf. However, I would really like to make it a useable instrument for my band (I play multiple keyboards). I am familiar with MIDI but no matter how much research I do, I still wind up getting confused about "DIY"ing. I want to convert this to a MIDI controller (I don't care about the organ stops, just the on/off/volume knob) and be able to use it with Logic as a basic starter module. I already have my three keyboards; I'd like this one as simply a way to add more texture/layers and the foot pedals. Would someone kindly be able to provide me with a tutorial that is user friendly to a MIDI rookie and let me know exactly what parts/board, etc. I would need for this project. I'd really appreciate it so much!! Thanks

My other thought, as someone just pointed out to me, is that it might be easier to replace the key beds with simple audio controllers (like M-audio). I don't mind doing this; I could still preserve the old look of the cabinet and hopefully still use the on/off/volume switch. Any ideas on how I could get started in this direction, which I assume is less complicated?

Do I understand you correctly?  All you want to do is strip out the "innerds" of the old Hammond, except for the on/off/vol knob,and use the cabinet for some other purpose?

You say you want to convert it to a midicontroller, which is very general, and very confusing.  To do what?

Exactly what are you trying to do that you need a midicontroller?  Are you referring to a midibox core 8, or an LP-17 core, or a 32 bit core?  What is the midi controller supposed to do?

How do the 3 keyboards you already have enter the mix.

Need some help.  

John W. Couvillon