small form factor SEQ V4

grizz

Hi all,

After years of using my MBSEQ V4 both in the studio and live at shows I am looking to reduce its size significantly. My original sequencer (from the first Wilba bulkorder) is great to work with, but it is quite large and all the tactile switches and encoders are failing to differing degrees. So, instead of desoldering them all and replacing them I would like to try to figure out a smaller control surface. My idea is to have my larger sequencer for writing and a much smaller one for live performances. My main use for a smaller control surface is to have a sequencer for my Oakley 3030 303 clone for shows.

So, I have a few questions:

First off, does anyone think this is doable? A stupid idea? etc.

Secondly, I am thinking of using my TPD as part of the control surface and then maybe something simple like the SCS board with a display. Would it be possible to use these two and a display as a control surface? Is it hard to create a new hardware file?

It is probably pretty obvious that I am in the early stages of thinking about this... I am willing to learn PCB design, and dive deeper into the hardware file to make this happen. If I end up making a new control surface PCB I will happily run a bulk order if there is interest.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi there,

it is doable and the SEQv4 can be customized to your needs. But I'd recommend to stay with two 40x2 displays for use, otherwise the display routines would need to be adjusted.

if you look in the phototutorial linked below, there is a description of how to build your own control surface... of course you can use very few buttons, but I think a good compromise would be

2 displays, 16 pushable encoders below the displays (use the push function as buttons as the row of general purpose buttons) and a handful of additional switches/leds. You'd need something like MENU/EXIT/SELECT, the datawheel encoder, the pattern/track selectors for good use.

You can also totally do that on veroboard, as it is a custom work, not really necessary to learn PCB design. Of course, if you want to learn it and make a PCB, go ahead! :-)

Of course, it would also be possible to avoid displays at all, if you just want to use the TPD as a track indicator. But this would make editing really hard and I'd recommend investigating the V4l instead...

Many greets and have fun! :-)

Peter

Thanks for the responses. The SEQ4 lite isn't quite what I am after. Hawkeye, I'll watch your tutorial.. Thanks!

After thinking about it, I think what I am really after is a control surface to use as a sequencer for my 3030. I think I will design something that I can house with the 3030 (kind of like my MB808, but much much smaller) that I can travel with. I now understand the display limitations, so I am thinking the 2 40x2 displays with 16 duo LED buttons the TPD and then some buttons for specific purposes like modulation of the cutoff frequency (I have the 3030 V2 which the cuttoff can be modulated over midi), midi delay, etc. I remember years ago someone did a MB-303, which looked great so maybe I will go down that road for myself.

I built a control surface on veroboard for my MBFM which works great, so I think I am capable enough... I hope!

Cheers,

Alex

Just now, Shuriken said:

I have 3030 myself. Still pondering if i should rack it as is or i should include a sequencer.

Mine is racked now, and I use my SEQ V4 to sequence it, and my 9090... I'm moving away from bringing my MB808 and 9090 to shows as I have built a bunch of Euro drum modules to replace them for live use... The 3030 though I want to keep using live as I like being able to teak the bass sounds depending on the type of room I am playing in... hence trying to build a smaller control surface. I think the 3030 with a dedicated MB SEQ V4 with a control surface tailored to its needs would be pretty great!