Top Soldering

mongrol

Something to add (not sure if it's covered by Hawkeye) is that you should mount longish spacers/standoffs to the PCB to allow the diode legs etc. to protrude through. Just take care of any plastic parts if they're in the vicinity, but going from low to high it shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun! It's generally a great and satisfying build.

Edited by latigid on

Good idea with the long standoffs! The initial top soldering tip came from jojjelito, by the way! :-) It is good fun and  also helps, if you are really-space restricted like for ultra-flat builds, where you don't have that extra 2 millimeters on the bottom for your solderwork. Wilbas CS panels manufactured by Tim/SmashTV are thru-plated and you can solder bottom or top or both for that long-durable build that you want to hand over to your childrens children :).

As a small speedup tip and if you do not insist on top soldering: you can also tape all components after inserting them with packing tape to the topside and then turn the board over, without fear of the whole stuff falling out, snip off the legs and solder in a huge batch. This is a bit more time efficient, but not as much fun! :-)

Many greets!

Peter

I just like the top soldering trick... Set your Spotify or similar to some nice playlist and work away :grin: It saves me lots of time, then I'll just use my nifty Engineer nz-12 side cutters. If you visit the link, make sure to also get the nice nozzle tip solder sucker they sell. It's super handy!

Edited by jojjelito