Where to get Midibox parts in the USA

fallenturtle

I'm jumping on the Midibox bandwagon late I realize, but I want to make a Midibox SID unit... From what I can tell the number one source for this was smashtv's Midiboxshop but he's out of stock of the kits and even if i ordered the general parts from a standard electronics dealer I'd still have the problem of needing programmed PICs, which he's out of stock of as well.

I tried emailing him a while back and heard nothing so I suspect I can't hope that he'll have things in stock again anytime soon.

Is there another source in the US for programmed PICs and Midibox specific parts or do I need to order from one of the international stores?

Unfortunately, No.  (used to have one)

Those dont support the PIC you need for the MB6582

You want a PICit3 (or clone http://www.amazon.com/Development-PICkit3--Circuit-debugger-programmer-Windows/dp/B01ALP3XTS/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456348172&sr=1-5&keywords=PIC+programmer)

The real deal is $50

Edited by Altitude

I was going to use the classic Midibox SID v2 board (i'm not sure the proper way to reference it, but the one that only holds one chip) vs the fancy pants MB6582. I'm probably getting in over my head with this whole thing, but with a lack of good pre-built hardware options (Therapsid I considered, but I want the ability to add more chips if necessary and also as cool as the knobs are, it annoys me that I can't capture their values in my DAW due to the lack of midi out) I'm getting desperate.

That said, I'm not sure I want to invest in a programmer just to program 2 or so chips. I'm might just be SOL.

Thank you for the info, though.

I'd love to have one based on the MB6582 but now that I've seen how much it would costs for the panels combined with the unknown situation regarding the boards, I'm thinking I might want to stick with the original modular design. I compose from a DAW and never perform live, so if I want to keep my costs down I think it might make sense for me to build one without a control surface. As for the PIC programming I might try to get them from mikes-elektronikseite.de.