PIC Programmer

Karg

Hello all,

is anyone aware of a programmer for the PIC16F88 (and perfectly also the 18F PIC) that uses a USB port and works on a Mac or Linux? I guess I will manage to find a Windows computer as well, just a parallel port is tough these days :)

Thanks a lot in advance.

, Karg

Hello Karg
i use a pickit3 clone on windows....15 bucks ...perfect... works well .. i  think it's the same unit than the original....same chinese manufacturer ...but not labelled microchip!
use with MPLAB X IDE or PIckit 3.01 programmer (free download on microchip) depend the .hex and device....
pickit 2 is better for some reasons... but pickit 3 compatible with latest device...
you have to use adapter or building it for each device in respect of datasheet.... and the "read me text" on "help" menu in software
Best

• 2 months later...
On 16/03/2016 at 4:47 AM, tashikoma said:

Hello Karg
i use a pickit3 clone on windows....15 bucks ...perfect... works well .. i  think it's the same unit than the original....same chinese manufacturer ...but not labelled microchip!
use with MPLAB X IDE or PIckit 3.01 programmer (free download on microchip) depend the .hex and device....
pickit 2 is better for some reasons... but pickit 3 compatible with latest device...
you have to use adapter or building it for each device in respect of datasheet.... and the "read me text" on "help" menu in software
Best

Hey Tashikome,

by now, I also got a Pickit 3, however, when burning the PIC16F88, I go from error message to error message. My suspicion is that is has something to do with the wiring of the PIC.

Could you (or anyone else) please post how you have wired yours?

Thanks a lot!

Just now, latigid on said:

Hi Latigid On,

thanks for the quick reply, but I don't understand what you want to tell me with it. Maybe I should explain my problem in more detail.

I have a Pickit3 and use the MPLAB IPE software. I connected:

PICKIT_PIN1-16F88_PIN4

PICKIT_PIN2-16F88_PIN14

PICKIT_PIN3-16F88_PIN5

PICKIT_PIN4-16F88-PIN13

PICKIT_PIN5-16F88_PIN12

In the IPE, I select "Power from Tool" (or something like that) in advanced options.

I also tried puting a variety of caps and resistors around the PIC as found on the web. However, I always get "Target Device ID (0x0) does not match expected Device ID (0x70)" as an error message...

Hi karg

my pinning yours is right

PICKIT_PIN1- 16F88_PIN4 a 10k resistor between PICKIT PIN 3 (so 16f88_pin5  ( vdd ))

PICKIT_PIN2 -16F88_PIN14 (Vcc) to connector for external power supply

PICKIT_PIN3-16F88_PIN5 ( vdd ) and to connector for external power supply

PICKIT_PIN4-16F88-PIN13

PICKIT_PIN5-16F88_PIN12

i power with external power supply in my remenber at 13.1v
cause the pickit can't provide more than 5v...so don't click power from tool...

i use Mplab X IDE or this (mirochip archive)
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit3%20Programmer%20Application%20v3.10.zip

but don't remember wich was .hex app buggy with wich pic.... (i had a problem one time with the pickit apps)
and you've got to switch with the correct mode with MPlab the pickit... also the pickit v3.1 apps don't want to close at home you've got to force it.

i haven't 16f88 in my stock to explain you the process!

Edited by tashikoma