SD Sockets

enron_hubbard

So I got my Mouser order together for my CORE and SEQ_CS builds (both PCBs from @smashtv) and I'm bumping up against a little confusion. When it comes to the SD socket on the CORE_STM32F4 board, it looks like it's intended for a through-hole component. But when I look for a through-hole SD card socket on Mouser, I'm not seeing anything that fits the bill. Almost everything I'm finding are SMD components. Can anyone recommend a good part number to use with the SmashTV CORE_STM32F4 board?

I bought the one recomended in the Orderlist on ucapps.de

SD-RSMT-2-MQ

from Mouser. It is a surface mount part but I had no trouble soldering it onto the Pads of the STM3sF4 core board.

My bigger problem is finding a 4 GB SD card...smallest I've found locally is 8GB! no stores have the smaller ones anymore, Guess I'll have to order a pile of them.

Actually due to the card size issue I havent tested, but I have no doubt it will work, I inspect the solder joints under my stereozoom microscope and they look great! well, at least they look great for my work ;) I will try to test tonight I think I have an old 2GB micro card in an old phone somehwhere, and an adaptor....

Regardless it is the Card socket TK/SMASH TV recomend. looks the same as the one Smash ships with his kits.

Edited by arumblack

Hi guys,

The SD card slot footprint on the board is designed to fit two different sockets.  One is through hole but is impossible to get in small (less than 500) quantity.  The second footprint I used on the layout is for the SD-RSMT-2-MQ since it had (and still has) the best small quantity availability out of all of the full size sockets on the market.

The SD-RSMT socket has some plastic guide pins that fit holes on the board so it stays in place during soldering.  I quit worrying about getting the through hole socket when I soldered one of the SD-RSMT and found it trivially easy to do with a typical iron.

Best regards!

Tim

It Does work. I found a 2 pack of PNY 4 GB class 4 cards at Wal-Mart....I was able to upload MBSEQ HWCONIG file through MIOS studio to the SD card.

MIOS studio is acting flakey though, took way too many attempts to recognize my core (Regardless of the SD card being inserted or not), and crashed the core once, making the Green LED next to the user button on the STM32F4Discovery board flash really fast. (no Idea what that indicates). Core still works though.