LPC1769 rev D board how to load bootloader

gerald.wert

I am trying to finish a build on a midibox that is built around the older smash TV LPC1769 board.

Mouser no longer has the recommended revision A or B board and I have not been able to locate one for sale.

Mouser offers up this new board EAX00242 ( revision D) as a replacement for the previous board. I have so far been unable to flash the bootloader to this board. The board is not found by the older recommended 5.26 version of the LPC IDE. It is found by the new version 8 of the IDE but it errors when trying to load the boot loader bin

This is the error:

95: must set -load-base or --area with binary file

I do not see any place to set this info in the IDE and am not turning anything up with google search or on the forum here.

Edited by gerald.wert
more information

I am not sure if anyone is going to end up with one of these it has been mostly replaced at this point. If you need to replace an old lpc core or end up with one somehow this is what gets it going.

Here are a few more details:

This is for the LPC expresso 1769 revision D that mouser is selling.

The revision D has the same issue as the revision C being that the pins are shifted. It will go into the board but is not a easy fit.

The revision D has DAP and will not be found by the older recommended versions of the IDE. I used the currently current version 8 of the IDE.

You go through the process of setting up a new project and selecting the 1769 board. There is no option for RTOS project in version 8 just select a C  project. You are just getting access to the Flash button so it really does not matter too much here except selecting the right lpc 176x board.

Select your current mios boot loader bin file to load. The tricky bit here to get it all to work is you have to set a target address with the newer version of the IDE. There is more than one place a boot loader can be flashed on the newer revisions of the LPC board. After some time spent RTFMI, I found that the base address of the boot loader is 0x00. There is a line to add this at the bottom of the program flash page. Press ok and away it programs.

After the reset the multi color led will flash red three times and switch to green. At this point you can put the core in your board and power it via the USB on the LPC core module board. I have not flashed my application yet but it comes up properly in mios studio. I have not broken off the programmer yet and everything seems to be working properly with it still attached and the line from the programmer not cut. on the older core this had to be cut or removed for the programs to boot. I will update when I have some more time to get the program loaded and verify functionality as it is.

lpcexpresso 1769 D.png

Edited by gerald.wert
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

:cheers: after a couple of hours going exactly through these steps myself, tripping over exactly the same stumbling blocks and figuring out exactly the same solutions, I find your post ...face palming myself. :rolleyes: But at least I can confirm, that it indeed works after a lot of pin bending and ramming the board onto the headers. I also soldered a short wire for the two Ethernet LEDs onto the left side of LED3 and 4. The network connector ones lit up, but only dimly. I guess, I should have done that either onto the right side of the SMD LED's or onto the left side of the corresponding resistors on the LPCxPresso board. But here is how I did it:

LPC1769_RevD_ETH_LEDs.thumb.png.2fc2099f

By the way, that's how the headers had to be bent in order to be able to give them a firm push to fit them onto the headers:

IMG_2902.thumb.JPG.5115422cd186d29dc7b45

...and I can confirm that the Rev D board actually works with all the midibox bells an whistles (I'm using it with DIO, AIO, SCS, standard 2xmidi IO, USB, Ethernet and a single GLCD).

Edited by Highcooley

• 10 months later...

thank you guys for your infos. I picked up the thread again because I have some questions:

I have not broken off the programmer yet and everything seems to be working properly with it still attached and the line from the programmer not cut. on the older core this had to be cut or removed for the programs to boot.

So it is no longer necessary to "cut" or remove the debugger part (Powerline) for further use of Midibox applications - replaced by a jumper, right?

I also soldered a short wire for the two Ethernet LEDs onto the left side of LED3 and 4. The network connector ones lit up, but only dimly. I guess, I should have done that either onto the right side of the SMD LED's or onto the left side of the corresponding resistors on the LPCxPresso board.

What was the reason for this modification, or what do you intend to do with it? If the reason is to disable it, is not it better to unsolder these LEDs instead of bridging them?

Edited by Rio

On the newer boards you do not have to remove the programmer. It has a jumper now to enable/disable it. I would not remove it unless you really need to reduce the space to get it to fit in your application. You may need or want to reprogram later and it is a lot easier with the programmer attached. It does not have the pin header on the bottom and the pitch is fairly small to solder it on there if you needed it and had removed it.

You have some options on the leds. I have not tried them yet so can not help a lot here. Also I am not sure how comfortable you are with soldering SMD or removing SMD parts you got the jumpers in place so maybe it is easy enough. You could remove the led on the board and your led on the jack should be much brighter this is not the best option though. You could source from the left side of the resistor. If you do this you may need to still use a resistor inline on your jumper. You could adjust this resistor value for the brightness you desire. A 100K pot would be an easy way to adjust for the value you like and when you have a brightness you like use a close r value.  If you go to low on the resistance your led will burn out so you may want to put some additional amount of  r in line with the pot just to be safe as the Ethernet jacks can be really annoying to unsolder if a led burned out. I am not sure what to recommend for the additional amount of R as I have not measured voltage and do not know the current and voltage the leds on the magic jack.. Possibly the leds are supplied at 3.3v and do not need the additional R. I have not tested and will not be able to for some time so can not be more help on the actual details here. If you have the time to test it out more please let us know I am sure it will help others as well. You may want to test with some leds not the ones on the Jack, especially if you have a few that are rated the same as the ones on the jack. That would save on having to remove the jack incase of a opps moment. I have been known to be an expert at making an opps moment. :)

If you are happy with it I would not. I have not connected the leds but my understanding is the leds are a bit dim as is. I am not using osc so have not had need for the network. The only software I know using osc is reactor. There are several advantages to osc if that is what you are asking mainly the increased distances between devices. 20 feet is generally considered good safe length for midi cable vs 300 for Ethernet and if you have a fiber transceivers you can go miles with no grounding concerns.

you mean, that LED light was annoying, so you disabled it, right? And bridging was an option. But sorry, I don't get your words:

I should have done that either onto the right side of the SMD LED's or onto the left side of the corresponding resistors on the LPCxPresso board.

If I take a look at the board above, what exactly did you bridge? only the LEDs and not the LED resistors infront? And that's how you changed that and we could do it that way, right? Maybe you can disable it via application code, as it is possible for the power LED too.

Greetings,

rio

Edited by Rio

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 0:43 AM, Highcooley said:

:cheers: after a couple of hours going exactly through these steps myself, tripping over exactly the same stumbling blocks and figuring out exactly the same solutions, I find your post ...face palming myself. :rolleyes: But at least I can confirm, that it indeed works after a lot of pin bending and ramming the board onto the headers. I also soldered a short wire for the two Ethernet LEDs onto the left side of LED3 and 4. The network connector ones lit up, but only dimly. I guess, I should have done that either onto the right side of the SMD LED's or onto the left side of the corresponding resistors on the LPCxPresso board. But here is how I did it:

LPC1769_RevD_ETH_LEDs.thumb.png.2fc2099f

By the way, that's how the headers had to be bent in order to be able to give them a firm push to fit them onto the headers:

IMG_2902.thumb.JPG.5115422cd186d29dc7b45

...and I can confirm that the Rev D board actually works with all the midibox bells an whistles (I'm using it with DIO, AIO, SCS, standard 2xmidi IO, USB, Ethernet and a single GLCD).

Hy

This is the rev D?

Only this modification I need to use?

And bootloader work with this?

Thanks

• 2 years later...