usb

Guest bass

If I am right the only problem with the usb is that is very difficult to get the chips required in low quantities therefore imposible for diy applications.

A nice convertion is to buy a usb to serial cable for around 15 euros. the only drawback is that you will have to install the drivers for both the cable and the serial :(

Yes - unfortunately the statement I made in this old posting:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=old_forum;action=display;num=10308161100;start=2

are still valid. My still hope is that some day ultracheap USB devices are available (for example an USB-Mouse for less than 10 EUR) with an reprogrammable chip which can be canibalized for a MIDI adapter.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi All,

Take a look at Delcom at http://www.delcom-eng.com/ for an inexpensive USB chip at aroun 8.00 USD. (They also have a development board also for about 49.00 USD.) Schematics and data sheets are available on the site. I have not tried the chip yet, but I got interested when someone on another list had written MAC OS X drivers for the Delcom chip.

Later,

Mickey

Hi Mickey,

unfortunately this is a preprogrammed ROM chip which is useless for MIDI. It's a pity that they don't offer the AN2131 of Cypress, because this derivative comes with a bootstrap loader - this special mechanism is activated when the USB cable is plugged in and allows to load the right descriptors and some additional code into the memory so that the device will be recognized as "Standard MIDI-USB device" by Windows, Mac OS X, Linux... without an selfwritten MIDI driver.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: the AN2131 has 2 UARTs (=2 MIDI INs & 2 MIDI OUTs) and costs about US $3 --- but w/ a minimum purchase quantity of 1k devices :-/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jonisio

hi again , i found an AN2131 inside my midisport 2x2 and an CY7C63413PVC inside an Imate i do not use ,usb to ADB from Griffin can you tell me if it is usefull?

thanks

gracias

Jonisio ;D ;D

• 15 years later...

Now almost 16 years later, there are enough videos on Youtube showing how to handle SMD.
The problem is not only the low price of ready-made USB MIDI interface, but the need of open source firmware to study when you want to develop on the same microcontroller core, to build your OWN hardware with several ports and other I/O like digital audio, buttons, knobs, faders, displays, lasers, blinkenlights...
The bigger AN2131QC had a parallel bus interface, if one wants to add two more MIDI ports with a dual UART like the TL16C752C, and can even run from external Flash (3.3V, and this requires the knowledge to make a bootloader to program it), but it looks too obsolete and hard to find cheap as new old stock, so if one likes coding in 8051 assembler and does not feel like switching to 32-bit ARM, it seems better to try its USB2.0 successor, the FX2LP CY7C68013A-128AXC.

Edited by silicium
typo