[WTB] Standard PCBs (CORE_STM32F4, DIN, DOUT...)

tago

By the way @tago, if you looked in the wiki , modules and parts section you would have found this : http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=where_to_order_pre-made_printed_circuit_boards_pcbs_and_parts_kits
So you can order From Tim/SmashTV if in America http://midiboxshop.bigcartel.com/ and as well it is the main community supplier. If in Europe, http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/ also provides PCBs and kits.

Bests ,
JK

Edited by Psykhaze

Hey guys,

thanks for your response.

The MidiBox Shop has not all boards available. DIO_MATRIX and DIN are sold out. All kits are sold out too.

I was hoping someone has a few boards laying around.

Maybe i should use veroboards!?

Then you can use veroboards as suggested :decayed: 
More seriously, some old DIN / DOUT modules still do the trick....  About Core32 you can also make a new PCB and share it ^^
Or just have a look to Core32 schematics and veroboard the thing while PCB get available again ....
Bests,
JK

Since my pcb design experience is none existent (as a kid i did a few simple pcbs by drawing directly on the board - oldschool style),

do you think ordering all pcbs at 3pcb.com would be a good alternative?

5x pcb 100x50mm/2 layers = 10$ + 25$ shipping

Maybe i find others currently in need too.

Edited by tago

So don't be in a hurry if you don't want to design by yourself. Many peoples also await for this and SmashTV is surely restocking.
It's summer,don't forget peoples may take some holidays . Please be patient.

if you don't want to be patient , then get into the PCB thing, many infos here :
http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=basics
Bests,
JK

Edited by Psykhaze

so you cant wait? no pleas dont use vector boards :cry: i cant see this...

i order always some more pcbs, i have the things you need:

Core STM32 - PCB

midi io - PCB

din - PCB

dout - PCB

dio-matrix --- only stuffed with all parts (soldered - plug and play)

ainser 64 --- only stuffed with all parts (soldered - plug and play)

all parts are from smasth tv > newest generation

i am from austria.

please search the prices on smash tv webside, calculate the dollar/euro rate and the zoll (taxes),

for prices dio-matrix and ainser ... take the prices for the Kits (with parts) + add some time for soldering and "mess addon" for my health

say me the price, i dont want to research that right now - as psy sayd - its summer :cheers:

-mike

Edited by Phatline
  • Like 1

Also , about PCB stocks, it could be a great idea if few other midiboxers could invest on some little bulks.
I mean we could organize things to bulk order from Tim to make like a "Community-shared" Stock , in a crowdfunded way or whatelse?

We could set up a system of "PCB maintainer" i mean one midiboxer maintaining alternative stock for one or more specific PCB . 
That would allow alternatives sources without Hijacking Tim (not much?).
if we buy bulk PCB for what already done,he should be happy to have less splitted parcels to send to maintainers.

A crazy idea maybe.

@smashtv@TK. your advices would be warmly welcome 

Bests,
JK

Edited by Psykhaze

I am also disappointed about the fact many peoples ask for PCBs but don't even looks deeper on UCapps nor wiki ...
Breadbording the STM32F4 board / some digital shift registers can be a solution to experiment if anybody feel in a real hurry.
And really doable if you spend few hours on it =)

I also wonder about peoples intentions about buying all-ready stuff  when i see prices on ebay. Just have have a "midibox" search to see...
TK's licence allow DIYers to build up to 10 machines a year to provide on the (flea)market.
That's even quite much and allow to spread midibox things and allow active understanding midiboxers to help getting time and money returns on what already spent in midibox.

To me ,this flow of external asks for "all-built" midiboxes has to be managed in some way.
Don't know really how ,frankly speaking, maybe creating some "Hire a DIYer" system that it could benefits to active midibox members?

But seems like even info is almost here for helping in wiki for building everything (i spent much time in filling), people just want to stay ignorant and only solder then play music without getting in other steps.
Ok it's really easier to solder pre-made kits , but you really don't need to be an electronics engineer to breadboard/stripboard the UCApps schematics. 
I will also add Internal Wiki tutorials about this when time, other external ressources are already linked.

Just take time to check out the updated wiki knowledge base, please =)

Best regards,
JK

Edited by Psykhaze

Hi Psykhaze,

thank you for all your input, much appreciated.

I for one being an electronics noob did read through the pages multiple times. There is really great info to find, but it's a bit messy to get an easy overview. First time i did look at Midibox (maybe 1-2 years ago) it looked too daunting to me (too many/large boards), so i chose to experiment with teensy first.

Now i'm willing to build my project on veroboards but i dont' know if it's right way. I'd like to try, but would need help (much help, maybe too much).

It's a bit rustrating that the ready to go pcbs aren't available at the moment, because i think it's a great easy introduction to the whole midibox thing. Once you ordered them there is no way back ;)

Only my perspective.

Best

Of course you can use veroboard, but it's flimsy compared to FR4 PCBs and the copper can delaminate. It's also quite time consuming (not to mention error-prone) to wire up the traces, and when that's done normally signal integrity/RFI is poor due to unintentional antennas, lack of ground plane coupling etc. It's also impossible to use non-100mil/2.54mm spaced components without drilling extra holes, which are then poorly fixed. Basically, veroboard is, like, so 2005.

With dedicated PCBs, one person (or a group) spends lots of time preparing the layout and risking many bugs in the first version. But after, copies are made and everyone can enjoy. @Psykhaze, it's very ironic of you to suggest veroboard when you propose simple PCB layouts (professionally made I suppose) with only a few switches/LEDs/pots etc. for Modulbox.

As far as Core32 PCB availability goes, I'm considering an alternative layout with a few extra tricks. Perhaps also a "slim" MIDI IO with 2.5mm jack connectors :doubt:.

Just now, latigid on said:

Of course you can use veroboard, but it's flimsy compared to FR4 PCBs and the copper can delaminate. It's also quite time consuming (not to mention error-prone) to wire up the traces, and when that's done normally signal integrity/RFI is poor due to unintentional antennas, lack of ground plane coupling etc. It's also impossible to use non-100mil/2.54mm spaced components without drilling extra holes, which are then poorly fixed. Basically, veroboard is, like, so 2005.

With dedicated PCBs, one person (or a group) spends lots of time preparing the layout and risking many bugs in the first version. But after, copies are made and everyone can enjoy.

The first point was about getting Tago interested in the doc . I understand you put much of yourself in these PCB you order first with personnal funds then test it then only provide things.
I have the greatest respect for that. Without PCB designers like you or Tim, MIDIbox wouldn't be what it is to me.
Just trying to think about how giving support to everybody, as well as PCB designer as well as end users.

Just now, latigid on said:

@Psykhaze, it's very ironic of you to suggest veroboard when you propose simple PCB layouts (professionally made I suppose) with only a few switches/LEDs/pots etc. for Modulbox.

As far as Core32 PCB availability goes, I'm considering an alternative layout with a few extra tricks. Perhaps also a "slim" MIDI IO with 2.5mm jack connectors :doubt:.

@latigid on I wouldn't call this irony. I am just disappointed that peoples follow only the "less effort" way . This modulbox project we have is quite big as you said and probably some months before real results. 
If we manage to lead it to the end,i would be very happy to spend my own money in some PCB stocks that community could be supplied and design new projects based upon these new expanders.
We are working on it , and you have also told me about the value of patience. I was trying to point this out.

We all know about current limited availaibilty of boards.
Was trying to remember that if you can't spend some time in the wiki or the forum to learn, you maybe no have time for a midibox? so maybe that sounded ironic
Please @tago if any questions i could help for ask in private message, i'm all open to discussing and explain all what i could.

Best regards to all,
Jerome

@Psykhaze, well, the question is: why doesn't everybody just veroboard their switch/LED/pot boards? The ironic thing is this was the original intent of MIDIbox -- custom controllers, and it was out way before off-the-shelf MCUs like Arduino etc. Modulbox and pro-PCBs in general sacrifice this more personal approach for robust and easy to handle solutions. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the inevitable outcome is that newbies with no concept of what MIDIbox or a shift register is will come and expect instant results. Be careful what you wish for :itsok:

SDIY (if we can extend this to MIDIbox) is a community with a wide range of abilities. I would certainly not expect a newb to understand everything from the start just by looking at uCapps and the wiki. Perhaps with your efforts there some info can be clearer. It's just nice to start with a PCB that's almost guaranteed to work so you don't get disappointed. It's very true about taking the time and effort to learn about the basics in a managed way.

Best,

3 hours ago, latigid on said:

@Psykhaze, well, the question is: why doesn't everybody just veroboard their switch/LED/pot boards? The ironic thing is this was the original intent of MIDIbox -- custom controllers, and it was out way before off-the-shelf MCUs like Arduino etc. Modulbox and pro-PCBs in general sacrifice this more personal approach for robust and easy to handle solutions. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the inevitable outcome is that newbies with no concept of what MIDIbox or a shift register is will come and expect instant results. Be careful what you wish for :itsok:

Sure,couldn't say better. I am currently working with you to make this current situation evolve. I don't wish everybody becomes an expert, just said we could open to infos where there is some .
For those who were used to read , Isaac Asimov told in "Foundation" about all damages that breeding ignorance could bring. And i do agree with him.

SDIY (if we can extend this to MIDIbox) is a community with a wide range of abilities. I would certainly not expect a newb to understand everything from the start just by looking at uCapps and the wiki. Perhaps with your efforts there some info can be clearer. It's just nice to start with a PCB that's almost guaranteed to work so you don't get disappointed. It's very true about taking the time and effort to learn about the basics in a managed way.

Aren't we working together to bring everybody new nice hardware features? I REALLY do agree with the pre made kit concept. That's how i turned myself into midibox before designing. Why should i judge others to ask for it ?
I try to give my best for these upcoming things. Just it hurt me when i feel like people seems preferring avoiding search work than digging into the things while knowledge offered.
It's maybe just a feeling... Whatever .

Edited by Psykhaze

Does somebody know an alternative way to contact SmashTV besides his shop's contact form?

Patience is a virtue and he will answer in time! :-)

Other good ways to reach him are via MIDIbox chat (he is idling there right now), or via Forum message.

Best regards!

Peter