OLED support

tago

2 hours ago, tago said:

I have seen this page, but there are only drafts/wireframes. I wanted to get a real world feel of that thing. :)

You and me both, PCB protos expected next week. 

1 hour ago, tago said:

Ok, regarding "MS-20 filter clones x 2 - MIDIbox CV V2" i see 4 OLEDs and one LCD. So its possible to mix displays after all? Is this only available for Midibox CV V2 or custom code?

You can't mix different display drivers on the same signal chain without significant re-coding. MBCV uses two separate ports and is noted as an exception. If you wished to have this coded into MBNG you'd likely have to do it yourself. 

3 hours ago, latigid on said:

You and me both, PCB protos expected next week. 

Nice! Looking forward to it.

You can't mix different display drivers on the same signal chain without significant re-coding. MBCV uses two separate ports and is noted as an exception. If you wished to have this coded into MBNG you'd likely have to do it yourself. 

Do you know if it's possible to have say 4x 128x64 OLEDs and 1x 256x64 OLED all with the same controller chips on it in a MBNG system without customizing the code?

Edited by tago

15 minutes ago, tago said:

Do you know if it's possible to have say 4x 128x64 OLEDs and 1x 256x64 OLED all with the same controller chips on it in a MBNG system without customizing the code?

I don't know for certain, but at a naive guess I think you would need to program the displays with the maximum pixels in mind. So in your suggested setup you have five 256*64p displays, where the first four are only used at 50%. 

On 22.7.2016 at 5:20 PM, Psykhaze said:

Be aware that graphical display consumes lot more CPU than classical text based displays, that might be the limiting factor in chaining SSD1322 Graphical OLEDs

Can you estimate the needed processing power per display? I wonder how much is needed for 8 displays (7x 128x64 and 1x 256x64).

Yo tago,

What is your experience concerning lots of displays and processing power? I count 24 on your Programma. I would have a STM32F4 core.

it depends on what you want to do. If you look up my voxelspace demo, that runs at 30 fps on a 256x64px panel. So if you have 24 displays (at a smaller pixel density and less grey values), you could still update them multiple times per second... So, in my opinion, all is pretty fast on the STM32F4, and not the microcontroller is the limit, but the serial bus communication - but this is still pretty fast and should be sufficient for audio/MIDI display applications.

I wanted to port my old 3D line-graphics engine to MIOS, but have not had time to do it yet. I am pretty confident, that it would run quite smoothly on multiple displays :-)

Best regards,

Peter

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

not the microcontroller is the limit, but the serial bus communication

Currently i plan to use an AINSER64 (40-50 pots), 8 OLEDs, 8 Encoder, 16 LED Buttons and a 49 key Fatar keybed to scan. I've no idea if it will run smooth.

1 hour ago, tago said:

Currently i plan to use an AINSER64 (40-50 pots), 8 OLEDs, 8 Encoder, 16 LED Buttons and a 49 key Fatar keybed to scan. I've no idea if it will run smooth.

Why shouldn't it? It is a MIDIbox, after all! :-D

(i would not worry about the OLEDs, with 8 displays you can get high refresh rates, look at TKs demo with 4 OLEDs displaying waveforms on the MBCV)

Recommendation: just get going, you will know more afterwards and surely learn something in the process!

Many greets,

Peter

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Recommendation: just get going, you will know more afterwards and surely learn something in the process!

Thanks for encouraging me.

I need help regarding power supply for my project too. Please take a look here:

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...