Adding a basic Sequencer to NG

tago

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

not possible without coding a bit... that means either some in-depth mios32 studying (it is possible!) or the (faster) hardware way: just chain up another core running e.g. a seqv4l based firmware...

A pity, i don't know if i'm good enough at coding. A second Core would require a lot of space also and could be overkill for a little basic sequencer.

Maybe i should add a little Teensy? How would you connect the Teensy, via Midi?

Edited by tago

Well, actually this was on my agenda, because with the introduction of RAM based .NGR scripts the execution of MIDI clock events is fast enough.

So, you simply have to tell MBNG what should be done on a MIDI clock event:

• you could send one or more MIDI events immediately
  • or schedule the event(s) in the integrated sequencer (which was not directly accessible in previous MBNG versions)
  • you could also set/clear LEDs to display the step
  • you could control the note length from an additional encoder
  • you could also do that weird algorithmic stuff or whatever you want :)
  • also transposer, arpeggiator and similar gimmicks should be possible, just requires some clever .NGR programming

Examples:

When you look into the .NGC file you will note, that I prepared 4 banks.
Which means, that you can switch between 4 different patterns with the SCS Softbuttons: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Ftests%2Fseq1.ngc

The 5th Soft button can be used to start/stop the sequencer in master mode.

If MIDI clock is received, the sequencer automatically switches into slave mode

The example setup is prepared for the LRE8x2 with LED Rings - but it should be easy to customize it to any hardware.
Also with pots, or buttons (for drum sequencing)

Here a pre-release which enables the new features:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_ng_v1_036_pre1.zip

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

Oh, an arpeggiator included in MB-NG was on my wish-list for a long time. It makes total sense for NG (and for MB-KB) because since you can connect keyboard matrices you can build your own keyboard controller with an integrated arpeggiator. 

I looked at the sequencer scripts and understand the basics but unfortunately I have no idea how to implement an arpeggiator. It’s been a long time since I wrote NGR stuff, I think I can do some minor parts like „switches select clock dividers“ or sth, but it would be nice to have an example script of the „core“ arpeggiator.

Don’t know what’s possible with NGR scripts, but I’m hoping for something basic like a Juno arpeggiator (int/ext tempo, up/down, hold, gate length..).

Anyway, exciting news 

• 2 months later...

I have Two Native instruments Maschine controllers.  One is a micro but the other is the regular one with a midi port. I was thinking about trying to use it as a CS for the MB seq. Would it be possible to write more than a basic sequencer as a script or is it going to have too much latency? I had thought to use it as a CS for the full sequencer but there is not a full midi map to the sequencer. I have a STM32F4 and 2 midi boards built waiting for the SEQ v4 boards to be back in stock but this might be a more interesting use for it if it would work.