name not valid

escargot

interesting. i was running into this issue on the last beta before the latest official release. i couldn't save as with even the letter "A". it would fail the name 'validation' step every time with that message. after i upgraded to the latest, i haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

try this, when you are trying to save as, select a letter and go to a new space for a new character, and then turn it's encoder one time (you'll see a weird little solid arrow character). now try and hit save with only that arrow char showing.

Probably unrelated, but I'll mention it -- the other day I was trying to create a new file via MIOS Studio File Browser called "AOUT_TEST.NGC" and it wouldn't let me. But I could create a file called "AOUT.NGC" Apparently this SD card has some corrupt sectors on it (when used in a camera), so it might work better on a different SD?

:doubt:

Andy: AOUT_TEST.NGC probably was rejected or had problems, because it does not fit the original FAT 8.3 naming convention (only 8 characters ahead of the "." separator).

While it might be possible to create files with extended lengths, different access methods (within MIOS Studio or the MIOS32 application) trying to open these files may fail, so it is probably best to stick to the original 8.3 restrictions.

Escargot: here, the 8.3 naming scheme is explained, there is also a list of not allowed characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

Many greets,

Peter

5 hours ago, escargot said:

thanks Peter, that looks like dark ages.... 

I will have a look why i couldn't save as 'PlasticM'

Interesting, that should work! Could you try to use all uppercase letters? Can you check with which FAT-type your SD card was formatted? FAT16 filesystems should convert lowercase characters to uppercase (lowercase letters would be forbidden, but i don't know how MIOS handles this, this might cause the error). BUT: nowadays it is really difficult to create a FAT16 filesystem, so i am not convinced, that that is the problem...

Alternatively, just backup all data, then re-format the SD-Card with FAT32, restore data and try again...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm having the same issue today.  I can save track presets fine, but if I try to save a new version of my current session with Save As I get the Name Not Valid error. Save works fine, but SaveAs with the only change in the filename being a 1 incremented to a 2, I get the error. Other names do the same thing, regardless of what characters and case I use.

SD card is formatted fat32, MBSeq is the latest stable release.