MIDIbox SEQ new frontpanel idea

latigid on

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, bemerritt said:

As a newcomer, this looks like an awesome update. Any chance the overall height will be slightly smaller that the previous version? The v4 is barely to tall to fit behind a euro panel.

Not for this iteration, the height of everything is about 124mm. But a Eurorack-mounted version would take up ~84HP and consume a lot of your +5V rail. The limiting factor here is the OLEDs. If there were smaller displays, the whole thing could be more compact.

So how do we go about flashing the bootloader, and uploading the Hex File?

I have the ST-Link USB Driver installed and the Virtual Com Port Driver.

However the waveshare core is not detected in the ST Link Utility.

Or in the ST Flash Loader .

I've tried it with the switch set to System and to Flash.

Edited by Smithy

41 minutes ago, latigid on said:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wcore&s[]=wcore

You can't use the USB port without flashing first, unless you have a USB to UART programmer. If you have a Discovery board you can use that, or else pick up a cheap ST-Link clone.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll play it safe and buy an ST-Link clone. :tongue:

For anyone else looking for one here's the cheapest I can find $6.80 delivered on Aliexpress via registered mail.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STLINK-ST-ST-LINK-V2-CN-STM8-STM32-Emulator-download-programmer/32693170276.html

Seems a better option than the little USB Stick ones with the dupoint cables.

Special-Offers-STLINK-ST-ST-LINK-V2-CN-S

Who knows, may even come in handy for flashing modular stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome tk and Andy well done! I'm still a bit unsure about the pages and controls in the demo as I don't own a seq. But it looks great!

I'm particularly interested in what can be done in jam mode. I presume there's 16 dedicated track select buttons for recording meaning you press a button -> record a track, press another button and record that track?

Yeah! :-)

TK.: it is really nice to see a new demo, and that you use the mute/unmute screen a lot :-)

Smithy: methinks the lower row of Matias switches now allows direct selection of the active track, e.g. see 3:09, where Thorsten changes from active track 3 to active track 10- so in Jam mode, i'd expect that you can change the active (recorded-to) track just as easy.

Many greets and have a nice weekend!
Peter

Thank you! :)

As mentioned by Peter, the recording function will forward incoming MIDI events to the selected track. One of the 8 buttons above the jogwheel is called "Tracks", once activated you can change the track with the select buttons in the middle.

In the video I'm mainly using the select buttons to control mutes and phrases. Since unmuting a track will also select it (upcoming feature in V4.094), mostly I don't need to switch to the "Tracks" function anymore.

In the Mute page the select buttons seem to be redundant, because the GP buttons control the same. But: the mute function will stay active when you change to another page, which is quite useful in certain situations.

Here an overview about the select button assignments:

sel.png.8c2bf52fc94c2e98b1a183579d7d4116

• Bookmark: e.g. can be used to switch to predefined pages, to mute/unmute/select multiple tracks, etc...
  • StepV: selects the step view
  • Tracks: selects the tracks (and group which belongs to the tracks)
  • ParL: selects the parameter layer
  • TrgL: selects the trigger layer
  • Inst: selects the instrument (especially useful for drum tracks)
  • Mute: as the name says
  • Phrase: as the name says

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi.

This is my first post here. I want to thank you guys for such terrific work and as a designer i want to congratulate you how the process over the last years has developed to something even better then most of the pros come up with. I want to point out that the mentioned heights of the new modular PCB seems to be 124 mm by now. For all those considering Eurorack it would mean it´s doable. The 3U measures as 133,33 mm so there is plenty of space left. MIDI and CV panel has to be placed on the front to the side(s) but it would be the common design there. Length of 84 HP is not the absolute standart. The mounting Rails can be ordered from several shops for the size of up to 1m. 

Just something to pint out :)

great work guys!

Just now, AM said:

I want to point out that the mentioned heights of the new modular PCB seems to be 124 mm by now. For all those considering Eurorack it would mean it´s doable. The 3U measures as 133,33 mm so there is plenty of space left.

Eurorack panels are 128,5 and depending on the type of rails the recommended PCB height is about 107mm.

I don't think the 124mm PCBs will fit between the rails.

If you mean 19" 3U rack panels, they are 132,5mm and it will fit, like the Wilba SEQ V4 CS PCB does today.