MIDIbox SEQ new frontpanel idea

latigid on

Thanks for the positive feedback! Indeed, the limitation of this version is that it is 3U standard but sadly not Eurorack-mountable owing to the rails as @eptheca states.

Here's an interesting compromise though:

• The PCBs fit in a standard 3U panel, 85-86 HP width.
  • Use 1U tiles ~40HP (i.e. 4U/7U case) to mount the displays above.
  • The CVs/gates/clocks/triggers etc. could easily fit below the PCBs with room for a MIDI socket or two.
    • This wouldn't be too hard to interface and could even be hand-wired.
  • Still necessary would be mounting points (brackets?) for the panel and Core/peripheral PCBs.

Personally I still think the power and space requirements of a full SEQ are suited to a desktop or 3U rack unit. But I can understand the wants and desires of self-containment and intermingling with the modular goodness. :)

8 hours ago, Antichambre said:

It should be interesting to get the value you found and which brand you use ;)

It´s the standart Doepfer Rails i think. Only one manufaturer of these Rails in Austria i believe (i might be wrong). Space is 111,5 mm ofcourse as a die hard DIY Fan I did infact build my case all by myself. I have a design somewhere of a foldable Buchlastyle Case so i could just add some extra space for the PCB in on row... I try to find it and if someone wants it i`ll send over the pdf. It´s 1:1 only the sidepanels so if needed (as in my case) some extra HP can be added. 

5 hours ago, latigid on said:

Thanks for the positive feedback! Indeed, the limitation of this version is that it is 3U standard but sadly not Eurorack-mountable owing to the rails as @eptheca states.

Here's an interesting compromise though:

• The PCBs fit in a standard 3U panel, 85-86 HP width.
  • Use 1U tiles ~40HP (i.e. 4U/7U case) to mount the displays above.
  • The CVs/gates/clocks/triggers etc. could easily fit below the PCBs with room for a MIDI socket or two.
    • This wouldn't be too hard to interface and could even be hand-wired.
  • Still necessary would be mounting points (brackets?) for the panel and Core/peripheral PCBs.

Personally I still think the power and space requirements of a full SEQ are suited to a desktop or 3U rack unit. But I can understand the wants and desires of self-containment and intermingling with the modular goodness. :)

Yes that´s a very nice idea. perhaps a good point for a second design for eurorack panels? I think this splendid community is drastically overlocked so a `port` migth give it an extra boost. but i don´t want to derail this thread any further. I can´t wait for the PCB´s to be released!

Thanks alot!

I'd like to see the final layout (graphic or excel) with every control labeled.

I'm trying to understand the differences between this and the 'old' V4 layout. I'm thinking about the possiblity to leave out the jog shuttle pcb to get sort of a v4+ compact version.

I've another question about horizontal spacing between columns responding 1:1 to the display.

If i divide 148mm (active area)/8 is 18.5mm h-spacing. Is this correct? Nearest on veroboard would be 7*2,54mm = 17.78mm, the 12mm encoder knobs would have only 5-6mm space between them. That sounds and looks too narow to me. What h-spacing should be used?

Just now, tago said:

Is it simply 1..16 on two top rows and bottom row + side panel like TK's graphic shows?

Yes.

Just now, tago said:

I've another question about horizontal spacing between columns responding 1:1 to the display.

If i divide 148mm (active area)/8 is 18.5mm h-spacing. Is this correct? Nearest on veroboard would be 7*2,54mm = 17.78mm, the 12mm encoder knobs would have only 5-6mm space between them. That sounds and looks too narow to me. What h-spacing should be used?

I'm using 19mm spacing.

• Like 1

Just now, tago said:

What's your encoder knobs diameters? I can't find 6mm flatted or set screw knobs with <12mm diameter.

These are 10mm and really good for tight spaces, using them since 2010 or so on my first SEQ (built on veroboard with ~18mm shaft-shaft distance), highly recommended - methinks TK. uses them on his latest video, too:

https://www.reichelt.de/Potiknoepfe/KNOPF-10-150B/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=3139&ARTICLE=73959

Many greets,
Peter

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

These are 10mm and really good for tight spaces, using them since 2010 or so on my first SEQ (built on veroboard with ~18mm shaft-shaft distance), highly recommended - methinks TK. uses them on his latest video, too:

https://www.reichelt.de/Potiknoepfe/KNOPF-10-150B/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=3139&ARTICLE=73959

Many greets,
Peter

I assume the left one. There is no datasheet. Are they for d-shaft (flatted) 6mm? ('für Rundachse' is not very detailed :))

Edit: found it, yes d-shaft

Cliff has 9mm opaque knobs (CL178861) Did someone try them?

Edited by tago

How important are dual color LEDs for the new layout (per row)? What do they indicate? I assume using them on the top row is most useful, but i'm not sure.

Do you think leaving them out and using normal single color LEDs for everything is a good idea?

How about inverting or fast blinking for single color LEDs? Is something like that implemented?

6 hours ago, tago said:

How important are dual color LEDs for the new layout (per row)? What do they indicate? I assume using them on the top row is most useful, but i'm not sure.

1st row normally shows triggered notes or the active step.

6 hours ago, tago said:

Do you think leaving them out and using normal single color LEDs for everything is a good idea?

Probably not. How do you know where the current step is? How do you know what triggers are active?

6 hours ago, tago said:

How about inverting or fast blinking for single color LEDs? Is something like that implemented?

Nope, but you can build your own firmware.

18 hours ago, AM said:

Any news on the progress yet? when will the new PCB´s be ready?

As I've recently talked with Andy i might have some inside information, there should be news regarding the availability of PCBs still in 2017! :-)
But, be aware, that it is a lot of work, and that also some special parts like OLEDs, Matias tactile switches and Alps-mount transparent switch caps are required and need sourcing, you would probably not be happy with "just" the PCBs, as these special parts can be hard to get, so: patience is a virtue (and i know, that sentence is quite often used around here :-)).

Have a great weekend!
Many greets, Peter

Horray!!!

...and a silent `oh nooo`

I did infact allready search the Matias switches and came up with the same conclusion... hard to source indeed.

"Sourcing is part of the necessary pain that makes the gear a part of you" as Lao Tze once said...

Hope this does´nt put of too many people from the build. Any group buys in the air? I´m from Germany too so any hints where to look would be great.

Thanks again for your efforts guys. can´t wait to start the build!

• Like 1

Hi @latigid on

may i ask you if your left/right frontpanel pcbs are identical and how your BLM matrix setup works? I'm trying to do my own frontpanel and it may be the best to make it compatible to some others supported projects. Would be easier to maintain if a new SEQ version gets released and more beginner friendly.

My idea was to cascade both (left/right) frontpanel pcbs like it is generally done in the Midibox system with DOUT/DIN/DIO modules. For my simple layout that would mean each frontpanel pcbs has one 4x8 BLM matrix. But it looks like SEQ does not support multiple 4x8 matrices in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 files out of the box.

Thanks in advance!

ps: i opened a thread:

Hi,

The two le MEC PCBs are identical. Each column 1-8 gets its own DIN input. LED anode columns are arranged R1 G1 R2 G2 R3 G3 R4 G4 (red/green/blue are selectable) then repeated for the right half. The first two rows have two LEDs, only one for the third. Cathode sinks are four wide; first the encoder switches, then first/second/third LED/switch) rows. Then repeated on the right side of the PCB (encoder switch, first/second/third LED/switch row).

Best of luck with your design.

8 minutes ago, tago said:

Thank you!

So you have two identical PCB sandwiches (2x2) for each side (8 columns per left/right side)?  Each side has its own LED/BTN matrix?

PCBs have 2x 74HC595 each. So each is like an 8x8 matrix. 

Just now, Smithy said:

Is this the Colour Scheme you went with for the Standard LEDs TK?

mbseq_v4plus_prototype1.jpg

I can't speak for TK. but you can look at the labelled diagram on the previous page and colour code things appropriately (play=green? stop=red?). Beware that current likes to flow along the path of least resistance, meaning you may get some bleed into lower Vf LEDs instead of the intended higher Vf one. Safest is to use only one colour.