MIDIbox SEQ new frontpanel idea

latigid on

Hi Andy will there be an option for just the holes at the back of the case and none underneath?

For those of us who want a desktop only version.

I'd imagine its slightly cheaper too to have only one set of holes cut out too.

Ah the fun of early release designs! 

That would be something to discuss with Adrian H. I believe that he's working on including a panel to blank out the unused holes. It should be cheaper (from the supplier end) to keep track of just one design, and I think the price will be more than acceptable for end users.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:21 PM, latigid on said:

Ah the fun of early release designs! 

That would be something to discuss with Adrian H. I believe that he's working on including a panel to blank out the unused holes. It should be cheaper (from the supplier end) to keep track of just one design, and I think the price will be more than acceptable for end users.

Ah cool, a panel that blanks out the holes is a good compromise. 

The real fun of the early release design will begin when we’re giving feedback on fonts for the labeling! :tongue:

Edited by Smithy

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, AM said:

Any news on the progress yet? when will the new PCB´s be ready?

So excited :)

Me too! Got the Waveshare board today, plus with Maplin going down in the UK, managed to make some savings on basic components. So next month will get most of the rest that I couldn't get from Maplin and eagerly await the PCBs!

Just to make time shorter until everything is publicly available (and so that you can get some new pictures of the new SEQ): we will start a SEQv4+ photo build tutorial thread soon!

Adrian is still working on the case, and we also still have a lot of (build) documentation and shop work to do.

Fortunately it is still considered springtime until late June :).

Many greets and enjoy the weekend!
Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Looks extremely professional. A friend of mine always claimed that the Wilba-Seq looks like a shoebox :-)

Is there gonna be any labeling on the back I/O on the finished version?  I quite like the colours, too.

Thanks, all kudos go to Adrian - he has done a fantastic job on this one - the painting really is excellent and we have an internal set of PCB holders, that will easily mount the combined LeMEC/Plate (encoder / backlit matias switches) PCBs and the Jogwheel boards. I have not built the docu version yet, but am confident, that it will work out really nicely. Methinks there will be no space problems like some other cases had, but it is a quite compact and portable case, i was positively surprised, when the package arrived!

Also, it is a prototype, we still need to add the "Beat LED" , and of course the label texts - as far as i would guess, it should be possible to label the backside ports on the "white portion" of the SEQ (the bent frontpanel), so this should work out.

Also, the blue color might change slightly - we are aiming for RAL color 5023 - if you google "RAL 5023", you can preview it.

Adrian is still working on the 19" rack mount kit, that can be screwed on instead of the blue "sidewalls".

The bottom of the case has holes that can be used to change the port orientation (backwards-facing in rackmount orientation) - also these holes should be able to be "blindfolded" with blanking plates for certain Irish people! ;-)

Many greets!
Peter

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The bottom of the case has holes that can be used to change the port orientation (backwards-facing in rackmount orientation) - also these holes should be able to be "blindfolded" with blanking plates for certain Irish people! ;-)

Who wants dust holes in their case? :P 

Not everyone is Colin Benders who automatically cleans the dust with his hair when he jams! (Joke stolen from Hawkeye)

Looking great, I *think* I like the brighter Blue of the prototype more but I might change my mind when I see the newer colour on the case.

Edited by Smithy

On 31.5.2018 at 7:46 PM, Hawkeye said:

Also, it is a prototype, we still need to add the "Beat LED" , and of course the label texts - as far as i would guess, it should be possible to label the backside ports on the "white portion" of the SEQ (the bent frontpanel), so this should work out.

So if you rack it, you'll have to do the labelling yourself on some masking tape or design a sticker. Maybe it's smart to have non-permanent port labelling: the function of some of the MIDI DIN-Plugs changed on mine when I exchanged the LPC17 Core with the STM32 and MIDI IO-Boards.

23 hours ago, u-link said:

So if you rack it, you'll have to do the labelling yourself on some masking tape or design a sticker. Maybe it's smart to have non-permanent port labelling: the function of some of the MIDI DIN-Plugs changed on mine when I exchanged the LPC17 Core with the STM32 and MIDI IO-Boards.

Thanks for pointing that out - have to ask Adrian, but it would make sense to also label the lower (blue) section of the case for consistency - the port names should be futureproof, we have 4 IN/OUT directly on the core and 4 OUT via IIC - it won't change in the future, even if there would be a newer core installed at some point in time.

Many greets,
Peter

10 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Thanks for pointing that out - have to ask Adrian, but it would make sense to also label the lower (blue) section of the case for consistency - the port names should be futureproof, we have 4 IN/OUT directly on the core and 4 OUT via IIC - it won't change in the future, even if there would be a newer core installed at some point in time.

Many greets,
Peter

You are welcome!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

glad you are interested! Yes, it will be available and we are working hard on it. And we will be providing an "essential parts kit", that contains all hard-to-source parts like small-form-factor OLEDs, the waveshare core with the bootloader preflashed (so you don't need a STLink Programmer) and the necessary superflux LEDs, Matias Switches and keycaps. The rest is available on Mouser.

There will also be a complete video tutorial documenting all DIY building steps in detail.

But: all of that still needs some time though, as we additionally ran into some minor problems. As we want to make the V4+ hardware as perfect as possible, it takes some time to get rid of some final problems. Also, there might be a new feature incorporated into the V4+ and the case, to make up a bit for the delay! :)

We will release a video tutorial of the build process of the new Core and auxiliary boards (wCore, USB breakout, SD card breakout, MIDI8, MIDI IIC, Line Transmitter) soon, these boards are all perfect, in stock and ready to go - you should be able to buy them within July or August, if you want to start building some parts soon. Andy is updating two SEQ boards, these need a PCB rerun and we need to communicate with Adrian regarding minor case adjustments. Methinks it will probably be somewhen in autumn, until you can hold a V4+ in your hands.

But: there will be updates and the first part of the video tutorial should be online soon, i've already got uncut 60GB of video source material, that needs video editing and voiceover work. Will be doing that shortly. Enjoy the summertime meanwhile! :)

Have a great weekend!
Many greets, Peter

Excellent news!
Poor Hawkeye is working so hard on this project and so late into the night, that he could barely message me yesterday!

You know a German is really tired when they start adding loads of full stops instead of spaces! :wink:

That would not be tolerated normally with adequate amounts of rest! 

The amount of hard work you, Andy and TK have put into the SEQ platform is immense, and I've no doubt in my mind that it will be worth it and will cause a spike in the interest and users of MIDIbox.

Keep up the great work guys. :cheers:

Thanks guys, your praise is highly appreciated!

But, i must pass it on: all the kudos (again) go to Andy, aka Latigid on and of course TK., who both did the grunt work! Andy designed all PCBs, communicated with suppliers (often in China) to get difficult-to-obtain parts, communicated with Adrian regarding the case, created all Wiki entries and Thorsten built the very first working unit and created specialized software for the all-new additional "selection row" of the V4+, which among other things allows for direct track selection (and multiple-track selection). I just built and documented the second proto unit, slipped in a last-minute-idea, which Andy instantly implemented without being grumpy and without asking further questions! Amazing! So, on my part, all was very easy, when standing on the shoulders of giants! :)

As Andy's "new frontpanel idea" now is a reality, he said, that he would soon open up a new official "SEQ V4+" forum thread, containing a few pictures of the cased proto unit (with every module/PCB in, and it all works, yay! :)), that will contain updates regarding availability, form and function and special software features of the V4+. This new thread can then also be used to ask any questions about the V4+ you may have (build process or software features). I am still finalizing the first part of the video build tutorial, which will also be featured in that thread.

As a personal conclusion, after building the V4+, it is my opinion, that while it is probably primarily targeted toward immediate/advanced DIYers, everyone willing to hold a soldering iron with a fine tip (wide-pitch SMT parts only) can build it, if he/she has enough patience.

Have a great day and many greets!
Peter