The FPGASID Project

jjonas

I really appreciate the efforts of the FPGA SID devs. I think that providing a critical components in keeping the legacy boxes running is commendable (even though the VIC II and PLA are still looming issues).....however....I have a psychological bug that will just not allow me to forget it is not a real SID...no matter how insignificant the differences may be.

12 hours ago, ChinMuzik said:

I have a psychological bug that will just not allow me to forget it is not a real SID...no matter how insignificant the differences may be.

Just have someone build the unit for you, then you don't know what is inside :grin:.

Seriously, the production spread on the original chips (6581) was so large that your FPGA version might exactly replicate one of those.

• Like 1

The digital section is supposed to be cycle-for-cycle accurate once all is said and done. The analog emulation will be tougher, but the sound demos are very encouraging.

The plus side is that you could theoretically "fix" any of your least favorite SID issues. Want to use the volume envelope without the infamous bug? No problem. Want to boost the resonance a bit to get a really nice acid bassline? Do it.

I'm in contact with the designer.

The good news: he plans a public release of all sources, which means that it will be possible to change the HW interface so that it can be directly connected to the core w/o need for serial shift registers! :happy:

It might even be possible to use a bigger FPGA for the emulation of 8 SIDs, all connected to a single SPI which will be the best way how to control the SIDs from a MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

4 hours ago, TK. said:

I'm in contact with the designer.

The good news: he plans a public release of all sources, which means that it will be possible to change the HW interface so that it can be directly connected to the core w/o need for serial shift registers! :happy:

It might even be possible to use a bigger FPGA for the emulation of 8 SIDs, all connected to a single SPI which will be the best way how to control the SIDs from a MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

...holy shit!

• 10 months later...

Update: I got one of the last 2 prototypes from Andi so that I can test the device before the next batch run. :)

mb6582_fpgasid.jpg

Target is to test all functions, and to prepare direct shift register based access, so that the module could be directly connected to a MIOS8 or MIOS32 core w/o MBHP_SID module :)

The sound is *very* close to the original.
I will provide a A/B comparison soon.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This is so sweet! I'd love build my next MBSID based on eight psuedovirtual SID chips in an FPGA. I'd keep my MB6582 for reference of course, but a noiseless and potentially bug free version would know its place from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/28/2016 at 11:26 PM, TK. said:

Even a board for multiple FPGA chips would be cool

I wonder if they sound so close I would fail in a blind test and also if they are capable to do the pseudo-sampling thing, would be really sweet given the power of STM32F4

A MIOS32 port of MBSID could also enable sampling features even on real SID chips!

• 4 months later...
On 2.10.2017 at 8:31 PM, TK. said:

Update: I got one of the last 2 prototypes from Andi so that I can test the device before the next batch run. :)

Hi,

have you ever had a chance to test this installation? I'm one of the FPGASID tester as well and own a MB-6582 as well so it would be interesting to learn about your experience.

• 7 months later...

There was an update about a month ago about the first production lot. At this statege cost is 74,95€ per chip, i.e. not cheap. Also, the installation into a C64 is strictly speaking not what I'd call "drop in replacement" in the sense that several extra wires are needed to make connections to CPU etc. How that will translate into MB6582 use, I can't say. But anyway probably SEQv4+ will be the main priority for some time still, so we'll just have to wait...

Some more audio samples are available.

• 4 months later...

I was following this, and the price was a bit of a shock, considering the price of some of the other replacements (Swinsid & Armsid) and that it is possible to buy a working C64 for less. This puts it out of range for multiple SID project, unless you have deep pockets.

However, it might be interesting to consider an FPGA based sound core with multiple ‘personalities’ e.g. virtual analogue, FM, wavetable etc. This would be quite practical by virtue of the ability to reprogram the chip ‘on the fly’. 

I don’t have the skills for this, but there must be others out there.....

• 11 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, middleman said:

I was following this, and the price was a bit of a shock, considering the price of some of the other replacements (Swinsid & Armsid) ...

At €79, the FPGASID feels a little price-prohibitive. You get 2x SIDs for that price, but the installation into a real C64 is a bit convoluted. 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:31 PM, TK. said:

Target is to test all functions, and to prepare direct shift register based access, so that the module could be directly connected to a MIOS8 or MIOS32 core w/o MBHP_SID module :)

Did @TK. finalize a design that actually bypassed the need for a SID module? That would potentially raise the value in my mind... 

Edited by dwestbury

• 5 months later...